Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Mexico - Dreams or El Dorado? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/mexico-dreams-or-el-dorado-758745/)

Meenie Dec 30th, 2008 08:32 AM

Mexico - Dreams or El Dorado?

Hi all! My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip - we've never traveled much - and are looking at the Tulum area of Mexico. we saw some deals for the el Dorado Royale and for Dreams (both all inclusive) Is anyone familiar with these resorts? We just don't have a clue never having traveled outside of the US.

We want to be able to do some site seeing - ruins, shopping - as well as enjoy the beach.

and are these resorts "safe"? Can you drink the water? What safety rules should we know? :)

I hope I'm posting this in the right place... the Caribbean Islands doesn't list Mexico but neither does the US forum!!
thanks!

schmerl Dec 30th, 2008 09:27 AM

The are both safe. I think El Dorado may be adults only. If it's just you and your husband you might want to stick to an adults only AI. The food and service are usually better.
Look into the Iberostar Paraiso Grand, Secrets Maroma Beach, the Royal Playa del Carmen, and the Valientine. They are all great adults only AI resorts.

schmerl Dec 30th, 2008 09:28 AM

That should say Valentine.

Meenie Dec 30th, 2008 09:28 AM

OH and I forgot to ask... what are the "on" and "off" seasons?

carolinagirl81 Dec 30th, 2008 07:18 PM

I have stayed at Dreams, but it was in Puerto Vallarta. Didn't care for Puerto Vallarta much, but loved Dreams. Great couples resort and thought the food was great for an AI.

Meenie Dec 30th, 2008 07:20 PM

Thanks so much for those recommendations! We'll look into them right away.
We do like the idea of adult only - not that we don't like kids but we'd prefer this vacation to be relaxing and quiet. :)

Meenie Dec 30th, 2008 07:21 PM

thanks Carolina Girl... is the food at an AI usually below par?
We've never done an AI before... it sounds great!

carolinagirl81 Dec 30th, 2008 07:27 PM

Sometimes the food can be just average if not below average at AI's. I have had many friends and people say the same thing. However, I am really not a picky eater, so I have never thought the food was bad. I have found AI's are really the most beneficial for the alcohol. If you plan on drinking quite a bit, then it is sooo nice to go to an AI!

Meenie Dec 30th, 2008 07:31 PM

It just sounds so delightful to be able to walk down the beach, grab a drink and keep on walking :)
or swim up and get a nice cold margarita...
Is the water ok to drink there? I know they have a lot of bottled but I'm really thinking of the ice in the drinks!!

Meenie Dec 30th, 2008 07:40 PM

When is the best times to go there? My husband wants to go in Sept or Oct - but what about hurricanes?

TnTWalter Dec 31st, 2008 04:58 AM

Didn't realize it's your first time outside of US when responded on the Tulum post, so might be a little too crazy at this point.

There is a newer El Dorado on Maroma beach which is supposed to be very nice also and a Secrets is there. We really enjoyed Secrets Capri but beach wasn't as nice as we've gotten used to, although certainly lovely.

I would recommend a day trip to Tulum ruins and beaches. You can do this yourself or with a group. If you go with a group, find a smaller one. Yucatrek through playa.info is very small and they have a very popular Tulum and beyond day trip.

I would also recommend a trip to hidden worlds for cenote snorkeling. Cenotes are underground river systems. You snorkel in cool fresh water, not salt and snorkel in caves, etc. You can do these on your own, but hidden worlds is an organized facility that is nice for first timers.

Other than those, unless you have 10+ days, just lounge and enjoy the beach.

And head into Playa del Carmen for fantastic food and fun lively streets and shopping.

playa.info has TONS of information there's even a section devoted to all-inclusives.

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carm...e-big-resorts/

Good luck.

Oh and now is the best time to get your passports! :O)

Trish

schmerl Jan 1st, 2009 07:39 AM

The food is better at the adults only resorts which is one of the reasons they are more expensive.
The resorts have water purification systems. Don't drink the tap water, but the ice and the water they pur you at meals is fine.
It's hard to beat the beach at Secrets Maroma.