Metropol or Tropical restaurants in San Juan?

Oct 20th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Metropol or Tropical restaurants in San Juan?

Greetings fellow fodorites,

Tony and I will be in San Juan for 1 night (Nov) before our cruise and will meet friends for dinner. I have gone through many postings and it seems that Metropol is a good restaurant. I saw the menu at the Tropical restaurant (http://www.tropicalrestaurant.com/Re...gual_menu.html) and wanted to know what prices to expect at Metropol. I would appreciated your comments.

Thanks!!

Monica
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:46 PM

We had dinner at Metropol in July when we found ourselves in San Juan unexpectedly. Dinner, which included appetizers, entrees and a few beers, ran about $35 for two, including tip. Definitely a value-priced meal, with good food and friendly service.
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your information. Did you go to the one in Santurce or on Isla Verde? Our hotel is close to the one in Santurce. I suppose they (3) all have the same quality service and food.
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:04 PM

I was recently told that the one in Santurce is closed. If you are referring to the one near Hotel Pierre, that is. Maybe someone who has been recently can confirm.

I've eaten at both locations and found the ambience to be better at the one in Santurce, but it's been a few years, so things might have changed. Perhaps they were only closed for renovations.

The one in Isla Verde was fine, as well, but the decor and lighting seemed brighter and there were lots of families with children, whereas the other location was more dimly lit and quiet.
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:55 AM

We went to the one is Isla Verde. I would not rave about the atmosphere -- it was definitely a neighborhood joint with the noise that accompanies it. Hard tile floors amplified the noise. Still a great value, though.
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:20 AM

I've also been to the one in Isla Verde a number of times. It is a very good value. Like others have said, it is not at all fancy - very neighborhood -type restaurant. I like that about it as it is a nice change from some of the more upscale restaurants - but if you are only going to be in San Juan for one night and you're looking for a romantic or quiet place, Metropol would not be a good choice.

If you do go, I highly recommend the cornish game hen stuffed with black beans. It's excellent and the price is under $10.
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:21 AM

Yes, the Metropol near the Hotel Pierre is gone. There's now a parking lot there. In my opinion, the food is usually better in Metropol than in Tropical, but the Tropical in Condado is a much more attractive locale. It's in a converted, old mansion with lots of open air dining on balconies and wooden decks.
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Well, my friends and I have decided to try Tropical in Condado. Read some good reviews; also seems close to our hotel, which will help in having to taxi all over the place, especially after a day of sightseeing.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll be sure to post my comments here and on my web site (http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html)

Gracias!!