Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Meridian Club Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/meridian-club-trip-report-526337/)

witneycat May 3rd, 2005 12:29 PM

Meridian Club Trip Report

We just returned from a week-long stay at the Meridian Club. It was a very enjoyable, relaxing week. The beach is gorgeous, and the food was very good for all three meals. There were some very beautiful sunsets. The management and staff were excellent, and the chef did a great job.

The snorkeling trips to the reef were great--beautiful clear, calm water. We played tennis several mornings and explored the island one afternoon in one of the resort's golf carts. The rest of the time we spent relaxing on the beach, reading and swimming.

The resort was at or near full capacity the entire week (only 13 rooms), and there were no children, which was great.

The five-minute flight from Providenciales was fun--sure beats a long cab ride anyday! We did take a couple of inflatable rafts, which were great on the calm water. (Thanks to Allietoo for her suggestion!) There was one raft (the nice rubberized type) kept near the Hobie Cats that was passed around and used by several people.

My husband needed to make some daily business phone calls, so they rented a cell phone to us for $10 per day for the week. That worked out pretty well. The internet room was quite popular, and it always seemed to be operational. There'e one computer, plus space to plug in your own laptop.

It took us an hour to clear the customs line, and that was at about 2 p.m. on a Friday. We heard that it can take three hours on the weekend. We flew in on Delta from Atlanta on a regional jet, which holds about 100 passengers. I'd imagine it would be pretty slow if you came in on a bigger jet. Even though the process is computerized, the clerks seem to manually write down a lot of information, which really slows things down.

The only negative for the entire stay would be the mosquitos--I got several bites, even though I used the Avon bug stuff and also tried the Off with deet. It rained quite a bit just before we arrived, and I suspect that caused the skeeters to be out in full force. As usual, it seemed I was more susceptible to the mosquitos than my husband.

We've been to some really great places in the Caribbean--Curtain Bluff in Antigua about 9 times, Cap Juluca, Jamaica Inn, Four Seasons Nevis, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Cancun and Puerto Rico, and we really liked the Meridian Club. We definitely will return.

Susan
Paradise Valley, AZ

allietoo May 3rd, 2005 01:23 PM

Glad to hear that all is well at the Meridian Club. We've booked for April 2006 and I think we will also be going Delta from DTW/ATL. (I much prefer the Global Airways leg.)From your list,it sounds like you like places that we do. Do you have any suggestions for Caribbean or other reliably warm weather in December/Jan. holiday week? My breaks are limited to 7-9 days for a few more years so travel time is also an issue.

massachusetts_mom May 4th, 2005 05:27 AM

We will be traveling to T&C in July and am hoping the mosquito situation won't be bad...for some reason, they love me! Typically, are the mosquitos bothersome all day or just at a certain time of day/evening? Any suggestions for an effective repellant?

Lisager15 May 4th, 2005 10:18 AM

We were at the Meridian Club in January and it was perfect, no mosquito problems at all. We stayed in the Sand Dollar Cottage and I would highly recommend it. Wonderfully private with all of the conveniences that you require. A plus is that there is a commissary on site so that we were able to buy our own liquor and water and store in our refigerator.

We flew from Boston to Philly to Provo and arrived on the island at 3:00PM. Like the previous poster we have stayed in many wonderful resorts in the Caribbean over the last 13 years and this is the best for total relaxation. We have already booked for February of next year. . .

allietoo May 4th, 2005 01:26 PM

Haven't had major mosquito problems on Pine Cay, however, advisable to spray legs and feet before going to open air Meridian Club dinners.

MarionCK May 15th, 2005 06:22 AM

for Jim70...

If quiet is good, this might work well for you.

Certainly it's far less costly than Parrot Cay.

Good luck with your planning :-) !

Marion

MarionCK Jun 16th, 2005 11:04 AM

ttt