Medical facilities for Children???

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Medical facilities for Children???

Hi all, we're planning on going to Negril (Charela Inn) at the end of January but we really want to know more about the medical facilities and local hospitals. We've got two small kids, both under two years old, and we want to make sure that we could still receive good medical care while down there. Can anybody provide the name/information on nearby hospitals to Negril and also any other information as to the type of care we could expect to receive? Based on other people that have been to Jamaica, is it unwise for us to be taking our two young kids there? Much thanks!
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:36 PM

We thought about Jamaica, but I heard some horror stories as far as crime is involved. I'm sure it's fine as long as you stay at an all inclusive, but we like to rent a car and explore around.

I personally would not go there with children, especially ones so young.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:41 PM

We take our children almost every year, have not had a safety issue at all (and we don't stay in all inclusives, we usually rent a cottage or villa when they're with us and we do travel around the island quite a bit).

However, Jamaica does not have a first world medical system, or a fantastic hospital - the closest "good" hospital would be in Montego Bay, over an hour from Negril (which other than having many resorts is really a small town).

If having excellent urgent medical care is really important to you I'd choose another destination.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:42 PM

...but as far as a doctor to handle kid stuff that might come up - broken arm or ear infection, things like that, Negril does have two clinics right on the beach road near town.

When you get to Charela you should be able to get the phone numbers if an emergency arises.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

thanks liza and others for replies, would love to hear more. liza, how old are your children? do you ever see people with real young kids there? it's good to know there's a clinic nearby in negril. we're trying to decide between staying at a dude ranch in arizona for five days (tanque verde) vs. going to charela inn for a week. i know it's a strange tradeoff, but i'll already be at the tanque verde for a business meeting so we're considering extending the tanque verde trip though we'd been planning on jamaica.

any other comments/thoughts would be appreciated, much thanks!!!
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Montego Bay Hospital would be your best choice should anything go seriously awry. We always recommend trip/travel cancellation insurance with temporary medical insurance, incl.airlifts , for overage outside the US (rarely in most US insurance/healthcare plans). See
www.travelguard.com and www.campbellirvine.com for these travel safeguards, esp. for travel with toddlers. Bottled water, lots of sunscreen and hats, immodium also good
safeguards for kids.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 10:32 AM

My children are now 9 and 6 but they've been to Jamaica several times, their first trip my daughter was only 18 months old. I do see lots of small children there, at the smaller resorts and of course there are a couple of AI resorts that cater specifically to families with young kids. Charela is a family sort of place, I'm sure there will be other kids there.

We do have the airlift coverage for a serious emergency, it's good to see if you do and if not, get it.

A friend of mine went last year and brought her daughter (she's 6 I think) and her daughter got quite sick - fever, chills, breating trouble (her daughter has some chronic health issues that this was apparently related to). Anyway she was very happy with the clinic in Negril - was seen right away, felt good about the doctor.