medical emer care from long island, bahamas

Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

medical emer care from long island, bahamas

one of my best buds is headed for cape santa marina beach club on long island, bahamas. she has a medical situation which could require hospitalization.
does anyone know how one would most quickly & effieiently get off the island? where might they send her? i am guessing miami?
any info would help. thanks.
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

You should know that getting off Long Island (or any remote island) in a medical emergency is not easy or efficient and can be VERY VERY expensive.

Your friend should invest in Medical Evacuation Insurance. In the event of a medical emergency she will be airlifted in a fully equiped "air ambulance". Depending on the policy, either to the nearest hospital or to the hospital of the patient's choice. All she (or a companion) would have to do is make one phone call and the medivac company will handle everything. AirMed and SkyMed are two companies that offer this type of coverage but there are many others. Go to www.insuremytrip.com for starters to compare coverages and premium costs. Also google "medical evacuation insurance" and you'll find links to almost all companies who provide this type of service.

Without this type of coverage your friend could be into a costly trip or have to rely on commercial carriers which may not want to take a critically ill patient unless you sign a waiver freeing them from any liability.
Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for your reply. this information is exactly what i was looking for. i will paste your reply into an email to her right now.
Nov 24th, 2007, 08:50 AM

The outislands are really not a great idea for someone with a major medical problem. I would strongly suggest Long Island is not a great idea, and if she really wants to go to the Bahamas, she stay on Nassau. Nassau has very good medical facilities and doctors and an ambulance is just a phone call away.

Please have her reconsider Long Island for another time.
Nov 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

trip has been booked for 7 months. she considered cancelling but has decided to go, with her doctor's knowledge and permission. her condition involves a hernia.
it does help to know nassau has good facilities.
she is looking at skymed as airmed has 90 pre-existing condition rule. the price seems reasonable. they would medi-flight her to her home hospital in nj, or to any hospital of her choice, if necessary.
keeping my fingers crossed all goes well.
Nov 25th, 2007, 05:07 AM

I still say this is a bad idea. One other problem she could have is bad turbulance get to and from the island. A hernia is nothing to play around with, and in a remote location like Long Island it will take a couple of hours to get to her and a couple of hours to get medical help.
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:58 AM

The subject of medical care in the Out Islands is one I too have wondered about. I know there are various small clinics but what would be the sequence of events if one started having chest pains or a searing pain in the back of the skull? I apologize for asking what probably seems like a pessimistic question. We fell in love with Eleuthera this year but both my husband and I have required the facilities of an emergency room in the last few years (small stroke on golf course and complete heart block requiring pacemaker). Both situations were completely unexpected and well resolved because we got to an emergency room quickly. I have wondered what would have happened if we'd been somewhere like Eleuthera.
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:11 PM

There are couple of clinics on island that are staffed by doctors, but for more serious medical problems, patients are usually airlifted to Miami.