Me and 10YO niece: Which Island?

Jul 21st, 2002, 06:05 AM
Lisa

Me and 10YO niece: Which Island?

OK, here's the deal:
I've been trying to decide which Island to take my 10YO niece to. I took her to Florida in June, her first vacation ever, so I'd like to expand her horizons a little more by doing an Island next summer. But, I need you experienced island hoppers to help me narrow down the options. If you could give me your top 5 islands with the following requirements(they are in order of importance), I'll take it from there:
1)Sandy beach with calm, clear, warmish water(she's not a strong swimmer, neither am I)
2)Drinkable water(I do NOT need to deal w/ 10yo w/ diarrhea!)
3)Cheap accomadation/food(I'm buying cuzz she's broke)
4)Reasonable cost on flight from Buffalo, NY(June/July/August-hurricane/rainy season, I know)
5)Cheap transportation/walkable town(I won't rent a car, I'm a crap driver)
6)Bugs are bad, mkay?(I don't want swarms of skeeters or (sand)flies attacking us)

I would even consider going to an all inclusive, just this one time(for her sake)although I don't care for them myself. I've been to the Bahamas a few times, so I'd like to do a different island this time, if possible. Thanx in advance.

Jul 21st, 2002, 08:01 AM
tobagolover

Try Tobago,the beach at Pigeon Point is crystal clear and as calm as a bathtub because of the reef. Accomodation is very affordable,look into Sandy Point,Tropikist and Crown Point Beach Hotel.It's easy to get into town using route taxis,the island is lush and green so you can get out and explore by bus.of course you can drink the water,food is cheap especially if you eat where the locals eat. The Trinidad dollar is $6.30 to $1.00 U.S. so your money goes a long way.

My second choice would be Grenada, Grand Anse is a great beach and you can find reasonably priced apartment hotels in the area.Getting into town is easy, just hop one of the dollar buses that go to town and pass along the Grand Anse area. The only thing is that dining out may be more expensive than Tobago, but you can always find something to suit your budget. In general, Grenada is more expensive than Tobago, but both are great Islands for exploring.

Jul 21st, 2002, 10:03 AM
tweedy

Lisa,

If I were you, I would take her to the Atlantis, which would be a vacation she would remember her whole life. Staying in the Comfort Suites, you have all the amenities of the Atlantis at a considerable discount and since it is a bit more on the quiet side you can get away from all the noise. There is also a kids camp there so you can get some time to yourself and she will have a BALL.

There is so much to see and do and of course you can head over to Nassau for some more siteseeing.

The beach at the Atlanits is one of the 10 top beaches in the world, so you can enjoy the beach and she can learn to snorkle right there and maybe take a snorkle trip.

Have a great time.

tweedy