Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

maybe going to St. Vincent and Grenadines..then Grenada or Barbados to hop to?

Notices

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may stay several days on St. Vincent, then possibly Bequia or another island on the Grenadines..then..want to take a short flight to either Grenada or Barbados and rent a villa/apartment. Which is closer to the Grenadines and cheaper flight/ferry?

I thought either of those islands sounded good because there are many rental properties and little hotels available (for a around $150 a night)..wheras St. Vincent and Grenadine islands seems to be all booked in Sept. 2007 and is more expensive. (300-700 a night)

I heard that snorkeling is better here than the Anguilla area and islands and it is less expensive.

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM

You've got lots of questions, don't cha?

Seriously, for future reference it might be better to consolidate all of your questions in one post rather than spread them around in several.

First of all, Grenada is physically closer to St. Vincent & The Grenadines than Barbados is, but that doesn't' necessarily mean you should do one over the other. You have a few options of getting to the Grenadines. (1) You can fly into Barbados and then take SVGAir to Union, Bequia, or Mustique. (2) You can fly American Eagle into Canouan from San Juan. (3) You can fly a local carrier like LIAT to St. Vincent and then ferry to Bequia.

Here are a few things to keep in mind when planning your trip:

--You have multiple ferry crossings between Bequia and St. Vincent every day.

--There are 2-3 ferry crossings between Grenada and Carriacou every day as well as flights.

--You cannot fly between Grenada and St. Vincent & the Grenadines.

--Carriacou, though considered a Grenadine, is part of the nation of Grenada, not St. Vincent & the Grenadines.

OKay. Now, there are only a few hotels/resorts in SVG that are in the range of $300-700/night. These are Firefly and Cotton House on Mustique, Raffles on Canouan, the private island resorts of PSV, Palm Island, and Young Island. Mayreau does have the Saltwhistle Bay Club and Canouan has the Tamarind, but they are less expensive than that. Bequia has an *ample* selection of hotels and guesthouses for $150 or less per night. So does Union.

Grenada is another ballgame, with a full range of simple guesthouses to upscale luxury all inclusive resorts, with everything in between.

Tell us what your wants and total budget costs are for your trip and we can give you more information and more specific suggestions.

I've never been to Anguilla, but I read that the snorkeling there is rated average. I found the snorkeling in Tobago Cays to be really quite good, with the snorkeling around Bequia and Grenada to be average to pretty good. This is compared to the best snorkeling I've experiences in the British Virgin Islands.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM

ejcrowe; I do not know if you have been to Virgin Gorda or Anegada in the past year for there the coral is 60+% dead or dying. A few spots around Norman Island and Cooper Island were fairly good in Dec.'06. The best in that area is still Caneel Bay area on St. John, though Tobago Cay in the Grenadines was superb in 2005.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Also meant to say that there are mail and cargo boats that go north and south through the Grenadines, but as far as I can tell there is no set schedule for them, so you'd have to have a very loose itinerary to be able to catch these boats from island to island.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Stan, I snorkeled a little bit of Virgin Gorda in 2005 but will be going there for my first land based visit this summer. My best snorkeling in the BVI was off Guana Island in 2003 and off Cooper Island in 2005. Tortola I thought was pretty good compared to what I'd seen before (Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Nevis) but not great. I've been following your recent posts about snorkeling with interest. You and I have different opinions about the snorkeling in the Tobago Cays--I've only done it once and it was this past summer, and again just for a few hours on a daysail. I loved it and thought it was really good, but it didn't compare to my own experience snorkeling Cooper Island that one time. But like I said, I've only done CI and the TC one time each, and conditions could have been vastly different. I'm still looking forward to VG thi summer, for even though you say it's 60% bleached (and what a tragedy that is for the ecosystem!), it will still seem really good to me I suppose. I don't have your vast snorkeling experience, which also means I don't have your higher standards. Double edged sword, I guess.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM

I think there's a flight between Union Island and Grenada on SVG Air. That's what we're planning to do in June.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I do have many questions and believe me..I REALLY appreciate all of your advice!!!!

I am now going through the dilema of what 3 (or is that too much?) islands to choose for about a 12 day vacation/honeymoon. I heard that Barbados has some nightlife, so that may be a good island for our 'nicer' part of the trip. And then stay in a guest house on two islands on SVG.
(having some hard times finding them!)

As far as our budget, we want to do a little of everything..spend half of our trip 'honeymoon' style, at 'expensive' resort, hotel with ammenities (under $300 a night) nice dinners, nice beaches to relax at, go out at night..and half of our trip at guest houses, apartments ($150 or less)and explore the islands, jungles, snorkel.

I just looked and from Barbados you can fly one way on a charter to SVG islands anywhere from $120-$195 one way, depending on the island. So I am thinking..fly to Barbados, stay somewhere at least a three star. Take a charter to SVG and stay in a guest house, take a ferry to another island and stay in a guest house. Take a charter plane back to Barbados.

Hmm..so I think Barbados would be perfect to start off our trip..what do you think?

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:44 AM
lawchick

I went to Petit St. Vincent and Barbados for my honeymoon.

We started off in PSV for a week and then Barbados for 10 days.

I would advise going to the quieter spot first - to rest a bit. In Barbados we stayed at the Crane for a few days and then we rented an apartment.

http://coralsandsresort.com/

It was really nice here - quiet, great view, walking distance to the Gap - yet away from the hubbub.

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Ok, weird. The LIAT caribbean airline site says that from Barbados to St. Vincent is only $83 one way with taxes. Nice!

I keep reading on this site that Grenada is amazing..but it is such a pain to get to..is it worth it? Does Barbados have jungles and waterfalls to explore like Grenada or can I save that for the SVG???
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM

courtney, Barbados has no jungles and waterfalls to explore. It's a coral based island, not volcanic, though the east coast does have some picturesque cliffs overlooking the surf. It is more developed and more "refined" than the other islands you're considering. Very British + West Indian in feel. The others, in my opinion, feel just West Indian to me. You have a fairly wide choice of upscale accommodations here (by upscale I'm using your 3* or higher criterion). For nightlife you'll want to look around the south coast in an area called The Gap.

Grenada is no more difficult to get to than St. Vincent from the mainland US and not at all difficult to get to once you're down there in the Caribbean. We flew St. Vincent to Grenada and then Grenada to Barbados for our trip last summer with no trouble at all. All on LIAT, all for really reasonable prices.

Barbados is the more direct and more expensive gateway to the Grenadines, as you and I have both noted with the SVGAir scheduled flights (not really charters, since they are scheduled, though no doubt you could charter one for much more money).

I woud suggest choosing either Grenada or Barbados for one part of your honeymoon. Stay in a nice hotel/resort and get a little pampering. Lots of choices on either island.

Then I would suggest choosing Bequia for the other part of your honeymoon. Stay in a smaller guesthouse or inn to really get the feel and rhythm of the island.

I can offer arguments for choosing either island first. Bequia because you can immediately relax and slow down after the wedding followed by the more developed island where you can be a bit more active and also enjoy the "nicer" place to end on.

Then again, you might want to start off at the "nicer" place to get a bit of service, a bit of pampering and then once you're recovered from the wedding move on to the smaller island where more likely you'll be more active, doing a lot of exploring.

You might also want to consider the Tamarind on Canouan and the saltwhistle Bay club on Mayreau as your "nicer" places to stay and then pick a nice guest house on Grenada for your remaining time and use the bigger island for more exploration for waterfalls, hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, etc. Just a thought.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I looked into the LIAT airlines site and you can travel all over from island to island. For around $500 for both people we could even try something like Barbados, Grenada, SVG...or for $700 go to St. Maartin, Grenada, SVG..the possibilities are endless! Maybe I should now think about three islands that I think are all different and try to visit them.
(one that has bright turquise water and great beaches, one with lush rainforest and good snorkeling, one that is more cosmopolitan with some nightlife.

Or would two be enough..on your experiences, for about two weeks...

Oh..and this would be during Aug/Sept..hurricane season
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:18 AM

For bright turqouise beaches, you have to pick the flat scrubby dry islands, like Anguilla, Turks and Caicos, or Out Islands in Bahamas.

Grenadines has some pretty, but small beaches that are the brightest turqouise of your choices.

You may want to stick to a "grouping". If you go all over the place, keep in mind you may have to backtrack, or spend the night in other places. I think a good grouping for you sounds like Barbados/Grenadines/Grenada. Keep in mind, any airline in Caribbean is not known for being on time, or even cancelling trips, so I would recomend keeping it close. 2 weeks is not very long to hop all over the Caribbean. You'll have plenty with those 3. (trust me, this is coming from a "can't sit still, have to see everything person.")
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Is your husband the one asking about the same island group pairings on this board? Just curious, since your requests are so similar.

Unless you tell us how active you want to be and whether you think you might be bored, it's hard to guage how many islands to suggest. I'd be happy to spend two weeks on any of several islands. I also enjoy doing a bit of sampling on occasion.

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Haha..No..that is funny though that we have the same kind of trip planning going on. I was in the my docs office and read a little about going around the caribbean. maybe that guy read the same article!

But Blamona suggested staying in the same area/region. My fiancee has been to St. Martin and he said it would be nice for several days and the water is very blue there and it was fun going to an island that is half one french. or we were thinking of a more southern island like Grenada SVG and then trinidad or Tobogo. We are looking for a 'taste' of three fun, very different islands that are easy to navigate to and from.

Decisions decisions...
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM

If it helps, that brilliant blue water you're seeking is found around Barbados, Grenada, and Bequia. didn't see much of it around st. Vincent. And the above still won't compare to Anguilla in terms of white sand and a myriad shades of blue in the wate.r