Mayan Riviera Honeymoon

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mayan Riviera Honeymoon

So, we've finally chosen our April 2005 honeymoon destination. Now we're trying to chose a resort. We've narrowed it down to Maroma, Ikal Del Mar and Paraiso del Bonita. Any recommendations on these? We're interested in snorkeling, water activities, hikes, good food, great beaches, privacy, etc. Which of these resorts would accomodate us best? Also, are there nearby restaurants, shopping and nightlife to any of these? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I can only tell you we chose Maroma due to the comments about the wonderful beach. We are going in November- if you still have not decided, I can give you a trip report after that- you can email me at [email protected] Good luck!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mcoyle1. Maroma has been our top pick, but I've recently found some comments about it that say it's not all it's hyped up to be. I hope that's not the case. It sounds like such a beautiful place. Can anyone else comment? Thanks.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Go to Ana Y Jose in Tulum.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 05:48 AM

According to the Travel Channel, Maroma Beach is one of the top beaches in the world and is listed in the most romantic category. You can read about Maroma at the Travel Channel website.
You will also find the majority of the 30 reviews by travelers at "trip advisor" to be positive.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Hi,
I just posted to another person about this. Have been to Maroma twice and my husband and I really like it there. Great spa, good food, good staff, exceptional restaurant staff. Beautiful beach. We are planning to go again. Congratulations and happiness always.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Ikal del Mar and Paraiso de la Bonita are both on my "wish" list. If I were to choose today, I would select Ikal del Mar. They have gotten fabulous reviews lately on trip advisor. Plus, Ikal isn't that far from the town of Playa del Carmen which has fabulous restaruants and much night life. We love the town. We've stayed at the Royal Hideaway several times and would love to try Ikal. (Waiting for that special occasion to justify the price.) We love the RH, but not really what I would select for a honeymoon. I think you have the right idea with all three of your choices. The main benefit of Ikal is the close proximity to Playa so you can have the best of both worlds. Private, luxurious accommodations and the ability to experience some night life.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We've now narrowed it down to Maroma and Ikal del Mar. From what I've read, Ikal del Mar has amazing accomodations, but not a great beach, where Maroma has a great beach but not as good accomodations. Is this true? If so, I guess we have to choose which is more important to us.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 10:13 AM

We stayed at Ikal soon after they first opened for our honeymoon. I had also looked in Maroma. Basically we went with price - Ikal was less. It's true the beach has some major rocks right in the water, but you can walk a little north and there are no rocks.

The rooms are awesome. The bed and sheets are everything you expect them to be. Having a private pool was great with nice lounge chairs to take a nap on. The bathrooms are beautiful and there is an outdoor shower out the backdoor of the bathroom - we never used the indoor shower.

The restaurant was good. The only thing standing out in my mind was a phenomenal mushroom salad that I had for lunch. Not sure if they still have it. Drinks are very expensive; $10 for a marg. We would sneak next door to a screened-in restaurant and drink and have snacks for much less.

The spa was one of the best I've ever been to. I had a facial, body scrub/wrap and we had a couples massage which was outdoors. They have a great steam room. We were in there everyday.

We went into Playa almost every night to eat dinner. It was less than eating at Ikal. We took a cab. Babe's on 10th St just off of 5th Ave is where we ate most dinners. They have the best mojitos.

We did the cave snorkling Alltounative tour that Ikal reccomended. It was worth every penny and was quite an adventure to say the least.

Having just stayed Ana y Jose with our family, I can't say that I reccomend it for a private honeymoon. It's a wonderful hotel. But, you will definately have all the privacy you need at Ikal.