Maui or ST Kitts or Cayman Islands

Mar 29th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Maui or ST Kitts or Cayman Islands

I'm looking at taking our family with 2 kids ages 6 and 11 to one of these islands next Feb using MArriott points. Which one is the best island as far as snorkeling, nice clean beaches, pools at the resort, localization, friendly and safe, and not too expensive. I;ve heard that St Kitts is quite a bit more expensive than Maui, true or not? How are the beaches on the Caymans after Ivan has been there? Which property and where would you recommend? Indepth advice needed...
Mar 30th, 2006, 04:55 AM

It depends on what you are looking for terrain wise.Grand Cayman is relatively flat while the Hawaiian Islands are mountainous and lush.The sand in GC is whiter than the Hawaiian Islands..which are a golden color.

If snorkeling is a high priority Grand Cayman would be a great choice.It is known as one of the best places in the Caribbean for diving and snorkeling.We will be going there for the first time in May.I have heard that it is recovering well after Ivan.There are many condos on Seven Mile beach that are affordable.Check out this website for specials on condos.

www.caymanvacations.com

Where are you flying from as the cost of airfare can be a big factor depending on where you are.

I have been to Kauai and it is the most beautiful place that I have been to.The Marriott on Poipu Beach is a nice property and is great for kids.The Travel Channel voted Poipu Beach the "Best Family Beach" of the Hawaiian Islands.

Good luck choosing!

Christie

I have not been to Maui but consider Kauai it is the "Garden Isle" of the Hawaiian islands and has lots to do but not as touristy as Oahu or Maui.
Mar 30th, 2006, 06:16 AM
iw

Not sure if I will be of any real help, but....here goes. I went to Maui about 5 years ago with DH and my parents. It is a beautiful island with lots to do. We are returning to the St. Kitts Marriott for the 2nd time in June. Hmmmm...IMHO, both islands are expensive, but you can do either one if you are mindful about what you do. For example, we are not big breakfast/lunch eaters, so we can split a club sandwich and be fine. The portions seem to be big. If your room has a fridge, as the Marriott in St. Kitts does, you can buy lunch stuff and make your own lunches. I didn't stay in a Marriott in Maui, so I don't know if they have fridges or not. I have not been to GC, so I can't comment on that. Also, you can purchase breakfast buffet when you book, which might be a nice savings for the entire family. There is so much to do on either island...hikes, tours, natural waterfalls on Maui. I loved both for different reasons, but honestly, I don't think Maui vs. St. Kitts is more expensive than the other. I saw a lot of kids in both places. I guess it does depend on from where you are flying. We live in Richmond, Va but fly out of DC or Raleigh, since it saves $$$ Both islands were safe and clean. My DH snorkles and it was ok in both places. My dad went for the 1st time in Maui with DH and they heard sea turtles and saw more in late Feb./early March. Also, in Maui, your kids can see the whales as they move about. In Feb., in St. Kitts, no whales.... I love both places, but the whale experience is very cool. Good luck deciding. You really can't go wrong with either choicem between the two islands that I have mentioned. Also, to keep things interesting....from St. Kitts you can take a ferry to Nevis, which is a great island!
Mar 30th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Winter is the rainy season in Hawaii, as people have discovered this winter. Also, water temps are lower than the Caribbean where it's the dry season, and water temps. in those places will be over 80.