Martinique - solo female traveller

Dec 26th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Martinique - solo female traveller

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to Martinique for 2-3 weeks in the first third of 2015. At the moment, there's nobody interested in coming with me, so firstly, I was wondering how it was for lone female travellers?

I'm interested in Martinique because I've never been to the Caribbean and would love to go, and I want to improve my French. I'm on a budget and can't afford expensive hotels, and would much prefer to stay with a family or something like that but don't know where to start. I've looked up a few language schools but don't know if they're any good as I have no personal recommendations.

Can anyone who has been offer any advice about Martinique in general and particularly about studying French/staying with a local family?
Apr 19th, 2015, 09:38 AM

Hello~! I stayed in Martinque for 5 weeks in 2011. Except for the last 10 days, when I was joined by my husband, I was by myself. I rented an American professor's apartment (very affordable) in the town of Trois-Ilets, and I took a ferry to Fort-de-France just about every day to work in the library and archives.
I was never uncomfortable as a middle-aged woman alone. People were very friendly and courteous. People often mistook me for Martininiquaise, and I had several interesting conversations at bus stops, etc., with people who were sure that I had some Martinique in my family roots. I think that I had such a good time because I sort of blended in, and I was there in off season~ in the summer. I, too, am constantly working on my French, and people were uniformly supportive and encouraging.
I'm returning to Martinique in May, but I've been surprised that it seems to be even more difficult to get there. Last time I had to spend the night both coming and going in San Juan. Kayak now doesn't even have an itinerary for Fort-de-France, so I had come to this forum looking for tips. Here's a link to my blog from my last sojourn in Martinique : http://sites.coloradocollege.edu/martinique/.