Notices

Martinique Beaches

Dec 11th, 1999, 06:38 PM
lawrence

Martinique Beaches

What is the condition of the beaches in Martinique following this year's hurricane season? I am interested in Salines down at the southern end of the island.

Dec 13th, 1999, 01:41 AM
joelle

The Salines beach is in fact one of the best beaches in Martinique, but I cannot say how it looks like after the hurricane. However it should have been cleaned/repaired for the touristic season.
Last year in January, it was unfortunately covered with sea weeds, due to seasonal currents. However you can also try the nearby Anse Caritan, small but cozy atmosphere.
In the north of Martinique, I also like Le Carbet and St Pierre beaches, even if they are black sand beaches.

Apr 28th, 2001, 07:01 AM
john

Just returned from martinique.
We spent most of our beach time at Salines beach. Very beautiful with stands where you can get food and beer. As with most French beaches, topless sunbathing is common. Waves are usually small and the water calm. You'll find numerous people selling clothes, food and beads walking up and down the beach. They are quite friendly and won't pressure you if you're not interested.
If you like bigger waves, try Diamant beach, it is also very nice with no selling.
The only drawback to Martinique I found is that not many Americans go there and very few people speak English, so brush up on your French. We stayed at Novotel Diamant in Diamant and very few of the staff spoke English, you can get by, though. They do offer a very good day trip on a catamaran sailboat which includes snorkling, great food, good drink with lots of rum and plenty of sun. It was the best day of our eight day vacation. Expect to see some topless sunbathing on the boat as well. Over all, we liked Martinique and would go back in a second.

Search this Thread