Marriott or Treasure Island CONDOS

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Marriott or Treasure Island CONDOS

3 adults and 2 kids going to GC for July 4th. Everyone except 1 adult is a scuba diver. The 1 adult loves snorkeling.

Question: Should we rent a 3 bedroom, ocean front villa at Treasure Island Condos, or stay at the Marriott next door? It is a choice between a rocky beach to scuba right off of, or a sandy beach at the Marriott. Is the Marriott close enough to TI that the snorkeler could walk over there in a matter of minutes, or like Vegas, are the hotels a mile apart?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:25 AM

You won't dive right off the beach off either location, there is no shore diving off 7MB, everything is boat dives.

The beach at Treasure Island is artifical (they rake the sand up), but they have built a nice swimming cove.

The walk down the shore between Marriott and TI is very short (about 300 yards) so not a problem.

Re snorkeling, I would note that there really is no good snorkelling off that end of 7MB, the fact that the bottom is very sandy is great for swimmers, but means there is not much to see for snorkelers.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was under the impression that there was a reef directly in front of the treasure island condos, and that it was rocky, not sandy. So now, i am confused. I know you can't dive off the beach, i was referring to snorkeling. any other opinions out there?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:43 AM

Sorry, your first post mentioned "rocky beach to scuba right off", not snorkel off.

Snorkeling at TI is quite good, as the rocks put down to create a swim cove make for good snorkeling... but it is not a reef, just rocks put down to create a swim cove (but it is nice

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:58 AM

We've stayed in a 3 bedroom oceanfront condo at TI twice now and love it there. I personally love the grounds - 2 pools, wading pool, 2 hot tubs, and swim up bar. There is a beach, and you can snorkel out front, but the last time we were there it was so-so. But its still a nice place to just be able to walk steps to the water to snorkel around. I would pick a condo over the Marriott just because we like having a kitchen and saving money on lunches and breakfast by buying groceries.

The divers in our group love the shore dive behind the Dive Tech dive shop (we've also snorkeled there). That is across the street from the turtle farm. There is also a restaurant there, the Cracked Conch which we like, very casual, but the view is awesome.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:09 AM

We've stayed at TI Condos in 3 bedroom beachfront for three consecutive years now and we love it. 2 adults 2 teens and 2 children. The teens like being close to town, the kids love all the pools and we like being able to snorkel directly out front. Contrary to what another poster said, the snorkeling is actually pretty good. Yes, the rocks right off shore are just that large rocks in the sand, but as you swim north in the shallow area there is quite a bit of fish life (we always see barracudas!!) If you are feeling a little more adventurous, you can swim directly straight out from Treasure Island and there is a good reef for snorkeling about 150 yards off shore. 3 weeks ago I swam with large schools of fish and saw an octupus out there. There are also some pretty good coral formations. There are definately better snorkeling spots accessible from shore in Grand Cayman, but I like just being able to walk out of my condo directly into the Ocean for this.

As for shore dives, turtle farm is really good. Also check out the shore dive out front of the lobster pot restaurant (Bob Sotos) and Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto. Nice caves and tunnels to swim through at both locations. The Tarpon are huge at the Lobster Pot site and you almost have to push them out of the way sometimes (pretty lazy fish for something that looks like it could swallow you).