Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Marriott in St. Thomas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/marriott-in-st-thomas-635242/)

annesherrod Jul 30th, 2006 03:14 PM

Marriott in St. Thomas

I am just starting to research for spring break. We think we want to use Marriott rewards. has anyone stayed here, and what do you think?

virginia Jul 30th, 2006 05:12 PM

didn't stay but drove by frequently. it's pretty close to charlotte amalie and all the activity. we did eat in one of their restaurants, havana blue and it was one of the best meals i've ever had, with atmosphere to match.

Carrybean Jul 31st, 2006 03:27 AM

I used to be Assistant Manager at Morningstor Beach Club. I think you'll enjoy it. Good location, completely revamped, great pool. Beautiful views of the harbor at night if you're staying in the main hotel.

publisher Jul 31st, 2006 08:32 AM

As a St John and Old San Juan resident, I agree: stay at Morningstar.

See lifestyle and culture at:
www.virginvoices.com

annesherrod Jul 31st, 2006 08:29 PM

thanks for the replies. Just in the research phase. Also looking at St. Kitt's.
Can't wait!

Dianebridles Jul 31st, 2006 11:57 PM

I have stayed at both Morningstar and Frenchman's Reef.

Morningstar is directly on the beach. The rooms are located in individual three story buildings, surrounded by the ocean, beautiful gardens, giving a very islany feel. Located there is Havanna Blue. a truly outstanding restaurant. a nice beachside deli and another casual restaurant. It has a beautiful on the beach pool

Adjoining is Frenchman's Reef, located on top of a cliff, has 'to die for' views, that will make you have been placed in a travelog. Sunset Grill offers outside dining where you can be immersed in the beautiful views; formal dining can be had at Windows, overlooking the Charlotte Amalie Harbor. A deli is also located there. A gorgeous pool, complete with a swim-up bar, and swim under foot bridge, sits atop of the edge of the cliff. I enjoy watching the magnificent cruise ships, closely round the cliff, headed for port and seeing passengers take my picture as I take theirs. Water taxi service is available and takes passengers to the heart of the shopping area. The ride is worth the trip just for the views.
Guests of boh hotels may enjoy the facilities and signing privileges of both, Complimentary shuttle service is available, but the scenic oceanside walkway, will leave you with lifetime memories.

MIM04 Aug 1st, 2006 09:09 AM

Definitely Morning stay if you can get a room there. Although when I stayed at Frenchmans the last time we were upgraded and got a room overlooking the water and you could see the cruise ships at night passing by in front of our balcony... beautiful!

Have fun!

perchy Aug 2nd, 2006 05:52 AM

St. Thomas Marriott was our first choice but sold out for our dates. We also looked into St. Kitts and the Marriott sounded kind of plain -- not island-authentic. Good luck with your decision.

publisher Aug 2nd, 2006 04:59 PM

They want to sue Marriot reards....are there any on st kitts?

what all inclusive or 300 room resort is "island authentic?"

None..