Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Marriott Hotel Grand Cayman (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/marriott-hotel-grand-cayman-159391/)

J. E. Feb 11th, 2002 09:42 AM

Marriott Hotel Grand Cayman

Thinking of spending a week with the family at the resort this summer......any comments on the hotel? Condition of facilities?

Lisa Feb 11th, 2002 09:47 AM

I just got back on Saturday and posted a long response, please read- "Just got back from Grand Cayman"

Sandy Feb 12th, 2002 04:10 AM

J.E.,<BR>If you could stay anywhere else on the island, I would recommend it. The Marriott has no beach left after the hurricane in November. There are many condos and hotels that would offer a better vacation experience.

john Feb 13th, 2002 05:55 AM

Not true, Marriott has a beach, not as big ...great service and easier walk to town and restaurants

f Feb 13th, 2002 08:12 AM

I walked the "beach" in front of the Marriott in January...it is inches wide in some places...people have their chairs in the water...the rest of the hotel looks very nice, but the Westin is by far the better property.

xxx Feb 13th, 2002 08:18 AM

John, you are correct. The Marriott does have a beach. It extends all the way to Mexico, all of it underwater. It really hasn't had anything remotely inhabitable as a beach for years. When were you last there?

Greg Feb 13th, 2002 10:41 AM

Granted it has been since November 2000 since we stayed at the Marriott. While the hotel itself was nice (and they did have a shuttle to the Holiday Inn beach which was nice...the beach that is, not the shuttle), the place to stay when in Grand Cayman is the Weston. My wife and I ate dinner there and used their beach towels and chairs (they were very nice to allow us to do that). That person who said that there was a beach is wrong !!! Good luck.

Sipry Feb 16th, 2002 07:11 AM

We checked out the Marriott last year and to call their beach a "beach" is laughable. When we started going to GC years ago, we stayed at that property when it was a Radisson - it had a beautiful, large beach - one of the best in that area. Shortly after, Marriott bought it and they were unlucky enough to have some bad weather several times over the years that has virtually wiped out the beach. People are almost sitting on top of each other, with their chairs in the water. The hotel itself is very nice but if you are going to pay for a hotel like the Marriott, you can do much better elsewhere on the island where you will have a beautiful beach as well. Sipry

Wet Feb 18th, 2002 08:08 AM

There really isn't much of a beach south of Lacovia Condos. The folks we saw at the Marriott sitting in their chairs inches from the water two weeks ago didn't look very happy. Go north if you want to enjoy the beach. Go south if you enjoy rocks and seawalls.