Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard mixed reviews mostly on the negative side about this hotel property which shocks me about a Marriott. I've heard that it is old, dirty, needs an update, beach is rough and rocky, pool needs fixing, restaurants are so-so food and pretty expensive and service is awful. Is this the case even though they just had a $48 million renovation 3-4 years ago? Please let me know if you've stayed here in the last few months and if its worth going to.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:51 PM

We're headed there for 2 nights before going to St. John... hope it's OK!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM

We stayed at the Morningstar in October, and really liked it. Our room was great, right on the beach and had the most comfortable bed. The pool in the morningstar area was not that nice
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Sorry, don't know what happened there! As I was saying, the pool in the Morningstar area was not that nice. It looked a little dirty. But we went to the Virgin Islands for the beaches so it wasn't a big deal to us. That's really the only negative thing I have to say about the resort. Our room was great and we enjoyed lunch at Coco Joes' Dinner at Havana Blue, and breakfast at the Reef's buffet. But we only stayed at the resort for one night before heading to St. John. If you search my name I posted my pictures and a review from the trip if you're interested
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I stayed at Frenchman's Reef this past Novembwer and Morningstar the prior November.
I was very disatisfied with the Morningstar stay, and wrote a negative review and a blistering letter to Marriott management.
Because of a late arrival, last November, I decided to use my points and stay one night at Frenchman's Reef, before continuing to St. Johnfor the remainder of my trip.
I was upgraded to a loft suite, and was very happy with my short stay at FR. The room was gorgeous and the needed improvements to the tennis courts and MS pool had been made, in addition, it appeared that the complex had been restored to its beautiful self.
I have read that remodeling to FR rooms have just been finished, complete with granite sinks.
The beach, which is somewhat crowded, is not rocky.
My most recent experience was so much improved, that I booked 3 nights at FR for my upcoming November visit, before continuing to St. John.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM

When we arrived there a little more than a year ago to stay (for a 3rd time) at the Morningstar Beach property, we were told that a reservations mixup had resulted in no room being available for our first night. We were given the Governor's Suite up at the Frenchman's Reef part of the property & told that, if we liked it, we could use it for our whole stay. It was multi-level, had 2 balconies and 2 bathrooms. We loved being so close to the water at the Morningstar and immediately told them we wanted to come back down there for the balance of our stay. The beach is sandy w/ some rocks. The water is clean but sometimes a little milky and is not Caribbean clear. Get a room on the 2nd floor, facing the ocean and enjoy. The only knock we had was that the walls were a little thin.