Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Marriage Proposal (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/marriage-proposal-49896/)

Zane Aug 2nd, 1999 06:36 AM

Marriage Proposal

Leslie....will you marry me? <BR> <BR>Just kidding. There is no Leslie. I'm actually interested in any true stories of proposals that have taken place somewhere in the Caribbean or Bermuda.

Zane Aug 5th, 1999 02:40 PM

Wow!! Don't everyone post a reply at once! I'm trying to get ideas for a romantic marriage proposal anywhere in the caribbean. I was hoping to get some actual stories of proposals and how they worked out. Maybe I should post another but more self-explanitory subject on this...

Pam Aug 5th, 1999 02:40 PM

A work colleague of mine was just surprised to a trip to Bermuda last month. He woke her up early one morning and said, let's get up and go to breakfast.She thought that this was unusual. It was extremely early. He told her to shower and get ready to go out for breakfast. He prepared a light breakfast for her while she was in the shower and placed a single rose with a note saying" A beautiful girl belongs in a beautiful place." She came out and read the note. He suggested that she pack to go away for the weekend. He did not tell her where she was going. I guess he had her documents for customs in advance. He took her to the airport and they flew to Bermuda. When they got there, he took her to the beach and proposed and gave her the biggest diamond ever. Now that is romantic! I had to tell my husband off for his "in the car on the way to work" proposal. At least my guy had a super ring in the glove compartment.

David Aug 5th, 1999 03:16 PM

The last post is similar to the way I proposed to my girlfriend. My girlfriend decided to change jobs at the last minute and had a week off between jobs. Knowing that this would be my only chance to propose the way I wanted to until far into the future (her next vacation), I asked her if she would like to go to Grand Cayman. The strange thing was, that I had been studying up on how to buy a diamond engagement ring because I was planning on this moment to happen sometime in the near future. Two days before we were to leave, I was out looking for "luggage" (as I told HER), but I was looking for a ring instead. She thought I was crazy staying out until late at night looking for "luggage", but I had to find the perfect "luggage". I purchased the ring , and the next day we were off to Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Westin, and it was so nice and fantastic, it made the entire time even more special. I waited until the very last night to propose. I had brought a bottle of wine from home, I borrowed a couple of wine glasses and some beach towels from the hotel, and I waited a couple hours before sunset. I said to her that we should go down on the beach just before sunset and have some wine. She was just taking her time getting ready, so I had to keep saying to her, "I REALLY want to see the sunset tonight". So we finally went downstairs by the pool area, with camera in hand. I had a couple take a few photos of us with the beach and ocean in the back ground- "hey, its our last night here" I told her. We then walked down to one end of the Grand Cayman governor's beach for some privacy, and sat down on the towels next to the waters edge, took our shoes off, then popped the cork on the wine. After a few minutes the sun was just on the horizon. We talked a while longer about "us", and how lucky we were that we found each other (sickening ain't it?). We snapped some photos of us. Then, I took her by the arm and asked her to walk over closer to the waves that were gently lapping onto shore. I got down on my left knee (she says she still had no clue), told her how much she meant to me, pulled out the ring, and proposed. I'll never forget the look on her face- she was so surprised, then she said- NO! <BR>just kidding. she said yes, and now she's my wife.

Paul Jul 20th, 2000 01:26 PM

In December I took my wife (then girlfriend) to Cabo San Lucas,Mexico for a holiday. I already had the ring purchased about three weeks earlier. One night we were sitting on the beach and I wrote I love u (using a heart for love) in the sand. She really liked that. Really liked it. So the next day we walked down the Pacific beach to a small hidden cove and sat on the rocks. I then wrote the same I love you in the sand. Again, she loved it. She walked down to the water and while she was there I added in the writing "will you (u) marry me". I put the ring in the sand. I called her back to the cove and she read the words. I knealt down to pick up the ring and asked her myself and placed the ring on her finger. Yes, she said yes and we were married a few weeks ago. <BR>

Jane Jul 20th, 2000 03:11 PM

Go to this web page, it is fresh stuff of a guy who proposed on Saint Martin - a story of suggestions from people, thru his reutrn and how it went. <BR> <BR>www.gobeach.com\sxm

Joel Jul 20th, 2000 05:55 PM

I took my girl friend to St. Thomas. We stayed at Point Pleasant Resort which was super nice. I chose St. Thomas, in part, because they have fantastic low prices on diamonds. I proposed to her on our terrace amidst the bougainvillea, which blew her away. We then went diamond shopping which really gave her an opportunity to do what she does best... shop! The great part is that we remained engaged for a year or so and then returned to the same resort to be married. Pt. Pleasant has a gazebo at the edge of a cliff high over the Caribbean with the usual island-studded waters. Arranging a wedding there is simple and runs about $300 with photographer, clergy, etc. You can't get more romantic as near as I can tell.

Paul Jul 21st, 2000 05:19 AM

Romance is in the eye of the beholder. We have a long romantic journey ahead and it began in Fiji.

kimber Jul 26th, 2000 10:10 AM

David, you made me cry!!!!

Anita Dec 26th, 2000 11:26 AM

Hi, Zane! <BR> <BR>My husband proposed to me on our last night at the Wyndham Resort in St. Lucia. We had been arguing a bit during the vacation, so I was determined to just bite my lip and go with the flow, so to speak. My husband wanted to take a walk on the beach and watch the sun go down. I knew that the sun wasn't coming down THAT early, but I kept my mouth shut and went along. We sat where we sat all week on the beach, nursing a few drinks, while my eyes became blinded by the sun. I was also getting very hungry, but I hung in there. My husband kept getting up and taking pictures of the sunset, and I kept thinking, "we have tons of sunset pictures; why's he taking more?" Once the sun set, and we saw the green flash of the sun going behind the horrizon, my husband dropped to his knee and proposed. Once my eyes finally adjusted to the bit of darkness that had fallen, I started to cry and accepted. So, THAT's why he wanted to take the walk and see the sunset! I was glad I kept my mouth shut! <BR> <BR>Good luck, Zane. She's a lucky lady! <BR>

Johna Feb 6th, 2001 05:29 PM

My boyfriend proposed to me in Jamaica, January 2000 on the exact night we met 3 years before, almost on at the exact hour. We took a walk at night down to a pier and looked at the millions of stars and listened to the beach party going on behind us. I had an idea but did not did not expect anything. I was very suprised that he planned the whole thing himself and now we will be returning to Negril to be married on June 30, 2001. There was no question about where we would be marrried. Jamaica will always be a special place for us!

David Feb 7th, 2001 04:57 PM

Got engaged in the Indies hot tub one late moonlit night. Spilled the Dom champagne I was so nervous. But it worked out well, have been back to Caymans twice since...

ArubaLisa Feb 7th, 2001 06:19 PM

My husband proposed to me after dinner at the old Cafe Martinique at Atlantis (very traditional and romantic)Paradise Island Bahamas. We returned with our families to the Ocean Club on Paradise Island 8 months later. We arrived Wednesday morning, married Friday night and were on our way to Aruba for our honeymoon 7 a.m. Saturday morning. The family loved having the rest of the weekend at Atlantis to relax :-) And we had privacy on our honeymoon...