Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Marley Beach Cottages, Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/marley-beach-cottages-bermuda-468814/)

jbeez Aug 21st, 2004 08:17 AM

Marley Beach Cottages, Bermuda

Has anyone stayed at Marley Beach Cottages in Bermuda. Are the rooms nice, do they all have views, what is their private beach like, etc, etc Any info would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

cmcfong Aug 24th, 2004 06:09 PM

I have stayed at Marley Beach a number of times. The rooms are basic not luxurious. They do have full kitchens and perhaps the most wonderful views on Bermuda. They are located on a hill.
The movie Chapter Two (Neil Simon) was filmed there in part. Although there are housekeeping services (and they will do some grocery shopping for you in case you want a stocked kitchen when you arrive) but there are no other real tourist services on site.

Most of the time I am there I see no one associated with the property other than the housekeepers. The hotel is on the bus line. The property abuts Astwood Park and has a relatively small private beach, located down a long walkway from the hotel above.

sp Aug 29th, 2004 05:24 PM

Stayed at Marley and loved the views and the serenity - hardly ever anybody around. Downfall was, our room was very run-down and dingy. I don't expect a room to be luxurious, but its got to be clean and comfortable. The bed was typical of a lot of other resorts in Bermuda - 2 twins pushed together - so you've got that crack down the middle. We were tired of trying to save a buck and decided to try Pompano. For the extra money (about $150 I'm guessing), it's not really a whole lot more when you consider that it includes a full breakfast and 5-course gourmet dining. Go to tripadvisor.com for reviews. Pompano will always be our ultimate getaway resort!

AndyPandy Aug 30th, 2004 06:15 AM

We were due to stay at Marley Beach Cottages but once we arrived and saw the state of the accommodation we didn't stay even one night!

The location and view were wonderful, but the cottage itself was, in short, filthy, run-down and in a general state of disrepair. I remember looking closely at one of the indoor chairs and found the wood to be caked in grease and covered in dust and hair. The bathroom had not be cleaned properly and the kitchen area was also not properly cleaned, the fridge was old and dirty. The cottage smelt musty and damp. It was truly awful. We moved to the Southampton Princess and were very happy. Bermuda is a lovely island but some of its accommodation leaves alot to be desired!

cmcfong Aug 30th, 2004 06:30 AM

This is very sad news. I have stayed at Marley several times, but not for the last four or five years. In the past the accomodations were basic and a little frayed, but never dirty. How disappointing. It is such a gorgeous location, what a shame it cannot be properly maintained. I hope both of you who had the bad experience shared your reasons for leaving with the management.