Reload this Page >

Margarita Island-Allegro Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 08:41 AM
Kathy

Any one stay at Allegro Resort in Margarita <BR>Island near Venezula. Food comments, experience with kids. All comments appreciated. Thanks

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 04:31 AM
CS

Have been to Margarita and it sucked. I'd do some serious looking before I went there. If you aren't fluent in Spanish you will have a hard time especially if you run into any problems. <BR> <BR>The beaches there aren't as nice as the rest of the Caribbean and the snorkeling left a lot to be desired. Like fish. We were taken to a spot and dumped in the (cold) water and there wasn't a fish in sight. No coral either. We couldn't figure out what we were supposed to be looking at.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 05:11 PM
Louis

Seriously, I have never heard much positive about Margarita and I know that it is a less costly destination. However I think you would do better if you would would look to the Mexican caribbean. The weather is just as hot and humid and it really has more to offer for the same cost.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 05:10 AM
Cruiser

As Margarita is part of Venezeula it's not going to have the tourist 'infrastructure' that some people will be used to. We visited as part of a cruise ( OK only a day ) & found it to be, as we sometimes say in the UK, Cheap & Cheerful. We ended up in a bar at the local 'Mercado' which could have been a set for 'The Good, the Bad & the Ugly', must have been the roughest dive on the Island but no problems ! If anyone else is going by way of a cruise ship be warned that the 'cruise terminal' is/was in fact the docks so unless you are prepared to hire a taxi driver to take you into Porlamar & wait for you ( 100 Dollars ) there is not much to do once the ship's docked. In spite of all this we liked Margarita !

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 08:32 AM
jamaicajim

My wife and I stayed 2 weeks at the Diamond Dunes resort (it's changed owners since - same one?) in 98 and had a great time. They are not as used to North Aerican travelers as other places but we had no trouble getting around or conversing with the local people. Most knew enough English that we could communicate. Went on several off resort excursions and enjoyed them all. Beaches were OK and the staff was really trying hard. They also have a supervised kids club and grocery store on the property. We used the all-inclusive feature and really thought it was worth it. Food is not high on our list of priorities and was acceptable. Nothing fancy but reasonable variety. If you can afford it, we would both HIGHLY recommend the trip to Angel Falls. (Not for anyone who is afraid of flying though). E-mail me if you have any other questions.