Search

Mar 2013 : Where to Go? Roatan, Maui or T&C

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mar 2013 : Where to Go? Roatan, Maui or T&C

Hello,

We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:

Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.

Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.

Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.

I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Do you have a budget? That's usually a driving issue with young families. It would really help if you gave us a dollar value of what you'd like to spend so we can steer you in the right direction. Please don't use terms like "affordable", "not too expensive", "reasonable" or "won't break the bank" as they are meaningless without a point of reference.

We visited Roatan last winter and I was quite impressed. It's lush, great for ecotourism , likes of hiking, zip lining, etc. and the people were very friendly. We had no problem with food and flies did not bother us while we were there. However, not too many resorts are within waking distance of shops and restaurants so you'll want to budget for taxi's or a rental car. It's still a bit "undiscovered" so your travel dollar will go a bit further when compared to Maui or the Turks & Caicos. It's not a "big" spring breakers destination so that shouldn't be a concern.

Now, if your budget allows, seriously consider the Turks & Caicos, specifically the Grace Bay area on the island of Providenciales (where 95% of the resorts in the island chain are located). There are lots of "condo resorts" that are perfect for families. Most of these are located on Grace Bay (11 miles of the whitest sand and calm turquoise water you'll find anywhere in the Caribbean). These "condo resorts' have all the amenities (pools, restaurants, bars, play ares, etc.) of a fine hotel yet the convenience of staying in a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom condo. They are perfect for families and chances are there will be other children the same age as yours so the can play together. Some "condo resorts" also have organized children's programs. Check out places like Ocean Club or Ocean Club West. FYI - The &C's are not popular with "spring breakers" but you will find plenty of families such as yours there during school holidays.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry! A budget would be helpful. I've heard that Turks & Caicos can be expensive. We are using miles for the airfare, but I think we would like to stay below $300/night for lodging. We are open to renting a car so long as it isn't a hassle. We rented a car when we were in Costa Rica and loved having one.

Are there things to do and see outside of the beach and the pool in T&C? How about Roatan? I would love to see the ruins in Copan, but it seems like it would take a few hours to get there.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Roatan is an island. You'd have to take one of the ferries (1hour, 15 minutes) over to the La Ceiba on the Honduran mainland than drive for about 4 hours to reach the ruins in Copan.

You should be able to find accommodations on Provo (T&C's for $300/night).

A simple google search for "Things to do on Providenciales" will bring up a host of activities available on that island. However, not much "eco-tourism" as most things revolve around water based activities. Also use the "Things to do" link on the T&C Forum at Tripadvisor for some suggestions.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Definitely a lot of really great things to see and do in Providenciales (a main reason I choose to live and work here), and there is a pretty decent selection of accommodations and price-points to choose from too, you guys will have a great time on Grace Bay Beach and can pop around to the different islands as well.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maui would be by far the easiest to get to from Portland, and the easiest to plan. Going to the Caribbean from PNW is a long trek involving plane change(s) and an all-day flight or taking a red-eye with a morning connection.

Roatan is more rustic than what I would be comfortable with traveling with a 3 year old.

Maui is gorgeous, tropical, clean, safe, modern and would be my pick for you. The flights are easy and only 6 hours. The time change is only 2 hours. Loads of places to rent along the lines you are looking for. 7-10 days would be perfect.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much suze! Where would you stay on Maui? We are planning on renting and would like to be on the beach if possible.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM

I'm no expert, I've only been to Maui once on a family reunion trip and we stayed in Lahaina (in a condo at Lahaina Shores) which was wonderful.

If you're seriously interested you can repost your question on the US forum here and tag if Hawaii. Loads of information here on Fodors (and on Trip Advisor), just not from me (haha).
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 12:01 PM

One thing I LOVE about Hawaii from PNW (I'm in Seattle) is that you get on the plane at 10am, after a 6 hours nonstop flight on Hawaiian Air or other (and a 2 hours backwards time change) you step of the plane in paradise at 2pm!!

I usually go to Oahu and stay in Waikiki is why I'm not much help with Maui. I just know a few activities and fun things my family did when my parents took a group of us to celebrate their 50th.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Check out the ASTON condos on Kannapali Beach, Maui. Or the Sheraton Maui, but if you stay there, request the rooms overlooking Black Rock ( famous spot where you can swim/snorkel with sea turtles). Either of these would be great. You will need a car,however, to get back and forth to Lahaina for more dining options and sightseeing.