Make Sure you Know St. Lucia before you go

Aug 18th, 2001, 07:26 AM
M.T.

Make Sure you Know St. Lucia before you go

I just dont want anyone to be disappointed when they get there, yes it is a lush island but the comaparisons to Hawaii aren't rally accurate. St. Lucia is a very poor island and you are reminded of this even in the "upscale" hotels... they are are upscale hotels, but upscale hotels in a 3rd world country.

This is not a criticism, I just want everyone to know what to expect

Aug 18th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Eric

St. Lucia is a third world country for sure. Generally the people we met were friendly and nonaggressive. We spent much of our time at our resort as there were many things to do. When we took our tours and went into the cities,we never felt threatened or intimidated.

When I went to Jamaica, I did not feel that I was safe and many of the individuals I encountered were threatening in the manner in which they acted or said things that were intimidating. I felt it was third world grunge and would not return as it wasn't that beautiful or breath taking.

I have been all over the caribbean and many of these nations are in the third world. You have to understand this and take it for what it is. Read as much as you can and evaluate your needs as a traveller. We went to Sandals St. Lucia for the experience of the resort as well as the beauty of the island. The Pitons were spectacular as were many of the sights we saw. I would return to Sandals there, because of the fun, relaxation and care they took with us. Remember each traveller looks for different things in their travels. We checked things out and read up on St. Lucia and then made a decision that we wanted to see the things this island had to offer.

St. Lucia is not Hawaii by any ones imagination. But even in Hawaii the locals can be rude to the tourists. Will be going back to Hawaii soon and will appreciate each of my travels for what they are.

Aug 18th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Kim

St.Lucia by no means is Hawaii. The people of St.Lucia are very friendly and wonderful people. The island is very beautiful, not as expensive as Hawaii. I loved St.Lucia and will return there again in Feb.

Aug 20th, 2001, 11:20 AM
ano

I have to agree with M.T. I have been to several caribbean islands and nothing was as third world as Soufrere!
Expectation is everything!

Aug 20th, 2001, 11:22 AM
anonagain

PS-Eric you said it ALL very well!

Aug 20th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Cissy

I agree..Eric said it very well. Remember...Hawaii is part of the US, not a caribbean island. It's beautiful but can't be compared to the islands in the caribbean...read up and don't expect much of any you visit, except only the relaxation you are craving. Our experiences have been good ones; we've traveled to Hawaii as well as many islands in the caribbean. I think much is in the preparation.

Aug 27th, 2001, 01:27 PM
M.T.

topping this because there seems to be a lot of comparisons recently made between Hawaii and St. Lucia

Aug 28th, 2001, 02:47 AM
Jacques

Most of the comparisons I've seen have been in the form of a question.

"tell us where to go --- St. Lucia or Hawaii"

"which is better, St. Lucia or Hawaii"

This is a Caribbean forum so if answers will be mostly from people with St. Lucia experience. Someone who's been usually are very quick to point out the differences.

Sorry you had a disappointing experience, but why the multiple posts? What are you expecting to happen? Most of us have had vacations that didn't live up to our expectations. Now that you've shared, the thing to do is to concentrate on the good memories about your St. Lucia trip for the photo album in your head (surely there were some --- you seem only disappointed so I assume nothing terribly untoward happened to override the good). Then move on & start planning the next trip. Remember, with a few exceptions, the travel folders & brochures reflect views & amenities found at the hotels & attractions, but do not accurately reflect an island as a whole. Don't know if you got caught in that trap but many do.

Cheer up. Many travelers never get the chance or the nerve to visit a 3rd world nation & see how some people live on so little & still manage to be happy. At your next dinner party you can talk intelligently about deeper island issues than the quality of the sand.