Mahoe Bay villas

Apr 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Mahoe Bay villas

For those of you who have stayed at villas on Mahoe Bay on Virgin Gorda: if you were looking to house 16 people and therefore needed TWO houses adjacent, which would you choose? Is there any real disadvantage to being in the second row of houses that are two to three minutes walk to the beach versus on the beach? It almost looks like the ones NOT ON the beach may have better views over the bay because they sit higher. Is this true or only an optical illusion in the photography on the websites? To get out on the water, do you recommend renting water craft at Leverick Bay? Are there no rental options from Mango Bay? We have been to Virgin Gorda before, but any info. specific to these villas would be helpful.
Apr 8th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Sunnyboy

There are essentially three types of villa locations on Mahoe Bay: 1) Beachfront, 2) one house back (these will generally lack a view as they are on the same ground level as the beachfront houses although a couple of them have a second story with some view) and 3) hillside which will all have a view of the water. None of the second row or hillside villas are more than a few minute walk to the beach. FYI - most photos I've seen on websites showing the villas are quite accurate. Go to villascarib.com and click on the links for Virgin Gorda Villa Rentals - if you scroll through some of the listings you'll find many of the photos spreads for the Mahoe Bay Villas have a site map showing the relative locations of each villa in the complex. The map is not to scale and is a bit outdated but it will give you a good idea of how things are laid out.

There are no boat rentals or other facilities on Mahoe Bay (it's all residential) and the Mango Bay Resort (next door) does not rent boats so your best bet is at Leverick Bay or you can go over to the Bitter End Yacht Club and rent one of their boats. You can take day sail charters and fishing excursions at the Virgin Gorda Yacht Club in Spanishtown.

As for which villas to choose that's really up to you but look at Santori and Santori II as they are right next each other and form a nice complex for large groups.

Apr 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM

What are your dates?
Apr 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I don't have dates as yet. This is still in the theoretical stage. Possibly June 2006, but we're talking about organizing 4 families (16 people)and for this crowd, that's quite a feat! I'm just trying to get a sense of our options so I can present a plan for approval.

Sunnyboy: You say that the row right behind the beachfront homes may have less of a view (view is essential) but that those "hillside" would be fine. Good advice. I think these villas typically come with at least a kayak or two, but aside from that we'd have to charter a boat for a day if we wanted to go very much further afoot. I suppose we'ed need 3-4 rental jeeps, adding to the cost!
Apr 8th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Sunnyboy

I wouldn't count on the villas having kayak (some do and some don't). If this is important to you be sure to check the list of amenities offered by the particular villa(s) you rent.

Also, one other thing (it's not clear from your posts) but if you charter a boat (either power or sail) don't try to sail it into Mahoe Bay, the extensive reef system there makes navigation in the Bay extremely hazardous even for the most experienced sailors.

Apr 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

How close is the Mango Bay Resort to the villas on Mahoe Bay? Are the villas at the south end of the beach at Mahoe (Caribbean Wind, for example) essentially next door to the accommodations at Mango Bay or is there some sort of separation? How's the tennis court?
Apr 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

How essential is air conditioning at this location? Is there enough of a breeze that you could do without it, or are these houses not designed for that?
Apr 8th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Sunnyboy

Mango Bay Resort is at the south end of Mahoe Bay and are seperated (at least when I was last there) by a stretch of vacant land. The "resort" has only a few units and they are not not close enough to the Mahoe Bay rental villas to be of concern.

Many of the rental villas will have a/c units in the bedrooms but the Great Rooms are usually "open to the breeze" and generally quite comfortable. I don't play tennis so I can't comment on the court other than to say there is one.

Apr 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help! If other questions come up, I'll be sure to let you know.
Apr 11th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Hi IPMsMom - If you would like a good view of the villas check out the following links http://www.adagiovilla.com/ and http://community.webshots.com/user/gordaguy
The villas up from the beach have a great view of the bay - Adagio Villa and Island magic are next to each other and both have similar views - seniors and families with young children would work best in Adagio while Island Magic would work best for anyone else. I think Island magic will work for 8 people while Adagio sleeps 10. Both villas have pools - a good overview is at www.virgingordabvi.com which is the rental agency for the Mahoe Villas or email me direct and I'll be able to assist. Cheers - Brian MacDonald

Search this Thread