Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Maho Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/maho-bay-624005/)

mcclntt Jun 16th, 2006 04:54 AM

Maho Bay

Considering this as a less expensive alternative to Caneel Bay. I would appreciate any thoughts, pros & cons. Thanks

tpatricco Jun 16th, 2006 05:24 AM

Maho is an eco-friendly camping location. Caneel is a high end resort. Rather radical sacrifice for a "less expensive alternative".

Did you consider renting a villa and going in the off season? These are better ways to compromise and not sacrifice creature comforts.

mcclntt Jun 16th, 2006 05:43 AM

Thanks for the reply.
This trip is for my daughter and her husband. They have a limited budget. I am helping her look for a vacation site. They live in Seattle and want a quiet beach, with great snorkeling and maybe some archaelogical ruins to explore. Last night when I posted Caneel Bay was suggested which I believe will be out of their price range. Could you tell me more about the villas and would you know if St John best meets the criteria my daughter is looking for? So nice to get help here. Elizabeth

mcclntt Jun 16th, 2006 05:44 AM

and what is considered the off season?

A_Traveller Jun 16th, 2006 07:17 AM

There are three "price" seasons throughout the Caribbean (dates vary slightly from resort to resort): High Season usually runs from December 15 until the week after Easter; Shoulder Season is the week after Easter until early June and again from mid-November until mid-December; Low Season runs from June through mid-November - obviously this is when you'll find the lowest rates. Some resorts are closed in September and October as that is considered peak hurricane season.

Your other post and this one don't give a budget so it's difficult to point you in the right direction. you should know that St. John is, in general, one of the more pricier island destinations.

When searching for a resort and/or island one tends to look first at the most expensive placs but you can have a great vacation if you are willing to make some concessions. Consider travelling in Low season, stay at a resort that is not directly on the beach, or if you must be on the beach choose a garden view room rather than beachfront or beach view - you'd be surprised at the money you can save and you'll still have access to all the resorts amenities. Keep in mind that other then when they are sleeping people spend very little time in their rooms.

If your daughter and her husband want archaelogical ruins to explore check out the islands of Nevis or St. kitts - there are literally hundreds of sugar plantation ruins hidden on these islands as well as forts and rain forests to explore. There are nice beaches and some decent (but not exceptional) snorkeling sites. You'll find lots of resasonable accomodations on thes two islands. Also consider Tortola, Jost Van Dyke or Virgin Gorda in the BVI's. They offer great snorkeling, very nice flora and fauna and some (but not a lot) of historical ruins.

jcb Jun 16th, 2006 07:30 AM

You can also look into Estate Lindholm

http://www.estatelindholm.com/

mcclntt Jun 16th, 2006 08:18 AM

This is great info. and I will be checking it out. Thanks Eliz

tpatricco Jun 16th, 2006 08:57 AM

On St. John, with villas in particular I think you'll find the pricing is either high or low season. Dec 15 - April 15 is high season.

We just spent 2 weeks there in May - our third trip to this island.

We've had success finding reaonably priced, nice villas on both www.stjohnlinks.com and on www.vrbo.com

I think Maho / Concordia Eco-tents are a great low cost option for STJ. My husband and I honeymooned at Concordia. www.maho.org

The snorkling and beaches are exceptional on STJ.

You really need to decide on a not to exceed budget, check some lodging options, airfare and car rental costs and see if it's still within your range.

mcclntt Jun 16th, 2006 09:19 AM

Checked out the sites. Thanks! Loved the Castle

suzconnors Jun 16th, 2006 04:14 PM

For younger travelers- Maho Bay is a fantastic place to stay. the tent cottages are good, the food at the dining pavillion is good. Maho staff is wonderful. I have been several times- recently took (3) girlfriends that had no idea that they would be staying in Eco- Tent cottages: All ladies were over 40- They had the time of their lives. You really don't stay in cottage very much. There are beds to sleep in with real sheets. After being in the sun all day, snokeling- and then getting cleaned up for dinner- You are ready to hit the hay early and get up to do it all over again. They don't even need to rent a car- Maho Taxi can take them everywhere very inexpensive. don't even need new clothes- A Swimsuit, cover-up, flip-flops/ hiking clothes is ample. Tell them not to pack much- Might want to take their own snorkel gear

mcclntt Jun 16th, 2006 08:24 PM

Great info. Thank You