Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Luxury resort for honeymoon- but for adventurous couple

Aug 31st, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Helping a friend plan their honeymoon. They are open to going just about anywhere- Caribbean, Mexico, even South America. They want luxury and to be pampered- but are not the type of people that want to sit on beach for 7 days. They love Ocean Kayaking, and many more activities- any fabulous resorts know for their extraordinary service, but with lots of unique things to do?
Aug 31st, 2007, 06:11 AM

How about Parrot Cay?
Aug 31st, 2007, 06:12 AM

Dear beachbride,
Where are your friends coming from? My first choice for all of their requirements would be the Princeville in Kauai, HI, but 7 days from the east coast might not be enough time with the length of travel time and time difference.

http://www.princeville.com/

My husband and I did 1 week there and 1 week in Maui for our honeymoon and LOVED the Princeville. It was the utmost in pampering/luxury, yet just out the door was the Napali coast to hike, boat rides w/the best snorkeling I've ever done, diving, helicopter rides, ATV rides, ocean kayaking through caves on the Napali coast, and many more things too. If you want to see our pictures, email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the link. We have lots of pictures!

Ps-since this is the Caribbean forum, they may like St. Lucia as there is a lot to do activity wise (hiking, snorkeling, etc), but the place we stayed at I wouldn’t consider luxury, although it was perfect for what we wanted. We tend to rent private villas in the islands, so I can’t really speak to hotels if that’s what they’re looking for. Good luck!
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:47 AM

Look into the Four Season's Nevis. -FourSeasons.com/Nevis - The Four Seasons Nevis is the only 5 star resort in the Caribbean. Nevis is a small volcanic island. http://www.nevisisland.com/ The resort will arrange guided hikes over Mt. Nevis - through the lush rain forest. The island is not as commercial as many Caribbean islands so downtown Charlestown is an experiance in itself. A drive around the island (30 miles) is full of experiences. The Bath Hotel (closed but under restoration) outside of Charlestown is the oldest "resort hotel" in the Caribbean, St. Thomas's Anglican Church is the oldest church, Cottle Church is the first church for whites and blacks to worship together, Alexander Hamilton (Yes the guy on the American $5 bill) was Nevisian and his father's warehouses are now a museum. England's Lord Nelson married Fanny Nisbett of Nevis and made the island his base for many years (circa 1850-60) The hotel will arrange dine-arounds and visits to other planatation resorts for you. The ferry service between Nevis and St. Kitts is very good including the new car ferry (Sea Bridge) so you can visit the sister island and enjoy a day on the sugar cane train, shopping in Basseterre, the restored fortess on Brimstone Hill, Rawlins Plantation... and gambling at the Marriott if that's for you. (don't stay there for a honeymoon: it is large group and family reunion oriented.) The 4S/Nevis also has the best golf course in the Caribbean, lots of beach activities such as snorkeling (much better since they built the breakers after Hurricane Lenny), Cat boats, diving and catamarand excursions, Deluxe rooms, suites and private villas (most with their own pool) for rent (the most private of which are villas 1501 and 1502 on "Sunset North") For a more intimate luxury experience (which you really aren't asking for) Montpelier Plantation - www.montpeliernevis.com - on Nevis would be worth looking into. It is a mountain resort instead of a beach resort but very top-notch. Honeymooners who want to snuggle through would like it.
Aug 31st, 2007, 10:42 AM

Parrot Caye is tops but more than a beautiful facility, pretty good snorkeling/diving there is little opportunity for ATV adventures and basically no lush scenery. FS-Nevis is worth exploring but has poor snorkeling, only fair diving, good food, usually large number of children but lots of areas to hike and to take an ATV to see lovely scenery. The Princeville in Kauai has been a destinaton of ours twice and we really enjoyed it but you loose 24 hrs. going and returning with from home to home plus the time change (6 hrs.) and some feel jet lag a day. Hawaii needs 10 days visiting Kauai for 5 full days and Maui for 3 full days plus travel=10 days.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 05:44 AM

We loved the Galapagos. We only have a little more than a week and we made it work. We did our trip through Abecrombie but there are much cheaper tour groups that are great. You can be on a small yacht or a sail boat. It's definitely great for an adventerous couple and it's very memorable. No boat is bigger than 100 people...we were with 44 and that was the right amount (enough privacy!) The smaller sailboats are more intimate and you do loose some privacy. We toured Quito, the capital of Equidor for 2.5 days prior to the trip. That was wonderful. You get to see the equator which is interesting. All in all a much more interesting trip than sitting on a beach!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 05:47 AM

Have them check out Four Seasons in Costa Rica-pampering excellent service-tons of activities with volcanos, rainforests, zip lines, fishing......
Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM

FS-Costa Rica is a good suggestion. If you go when most children are generally in school it can be relaxing. The food is good, not gourmet, the beach is very nice but not equal to some on Anguilla, the waters are often swimable and activities are pretty good. The facility is beautiful. Actually nicer, in my opinion, than FS-Nevis but it is isolated. It is 35040 minutes from much of anything. But, tour operators do offer zip line, canapoy trips, river flats trips (I would pass on that) and the volcano visit (long day and not super interesting). The vendors pick you up at te hotel and in a 7 dy stay we ususuall did 2 5-6 hr. outings. Snorkeling is alomost non-existent except a match 30+ miles away so not worth doing. But a lovely facility. I must admit unless you go on the outings you would not know you were in Costa Rica. You can fly from several US places to Liberia and a hotel van (as for your own van since you pay per person and you will not have to wait for others) and the trip tothe hotel is 40-45 minutes. An Ocean View room with 2 meals is expensive but so are almost all FS outside of a few in Asia.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM

The most beautiful and unique place I have ever been is Villa Caletas just outside of Jaco, Costa Rica. It was breathtaking. Very nice & luxurious, yet being in Costa Rica, you could stay very active. Reminded me of a Mediterranean-type view. You drive up this winding, stone driveway to the top of this cliff overlooking the pacific. They have some suites w/private pools. I beg you to check out their website, just google "villa caletas"...it'll come up.

If you need to spend a nite or 2 in San Jose flying in or out, I'd highly recommend the Marriott there. It is just a couple miles from the airport, but a world away. It is on a coffee plantation w/gorgeous views & architecture. They even have a small candlelit chapel which is beautiful.
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM

here's a list of ideas to consider -
www.maromahotel.com - mexico - ruins are fairly unique plus nearby eco-marine parks, atv jungle tours, diving/snorkeling, fishing, boating, golf, zip-lines, etc.
or a resort called esencia also on maya riviera.
cap juluca on anguilla.
jumby bay resort on antigua.
sandy lane on barbados is lovely. island has lots to do.
on st. lucia they could consider ladera or anse chastenet.
there is tons to do on jamaica. they could look at the caves, jamaica inn, round hill, royal plantation (private pools and butler service avail.)