Luggage conveyor @ St. Thomas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We heard that the luggage conveyor belt at the St. Thomas airport is not working and that it will difficult to get our bags from plane to taxi. We are going next week. Any first hand experience?
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM

my son was there a week ago when the belt wasn't working(heard it's still not). he had no problem since he did "carry on"...those who checked said it took about 1 hr to get the bags...if you can, don't check your bags !! unless you don't mind waiting. i've been traveling to the vi's for yrs and i always do carry on/don't need much while i'm there.. in fact going again 3/29..keep it simple !! good luck !!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:19 AM

Both belts have been working for at least 2 weeks now.

RL
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:39 AM

You don't have to worry about your check-in luggage from the plane to the conveyor belt part. Even with problematic belts, the luggage will make it to the terminal the same old way. The luggage onto the conveyor belt part and into the pick-up area, that's the question. But you don't need to worry about that either. They'll put it in a place where you can pick it up, naturally. The Cyril King ariport is really small. You won't need to chase it all over the place. You'll be getting off and on to the plane right on the tarmac, just like the good ol' days. Hope you're up to climbing up and down those airplane stairs. I'd just use only luggage with wheels. If you need to move your own luggage any distance, it will be easier. Remember, those porters are available but expect to pay about $20. No joke. Those porters have also been the subject of many a heated post on this forum.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:05 PM

glad to hear all is running smoothly at the airport, as i said when my son and cousin where there they said it was crazy/people waiting forever for baggage. when my nephew got home he told my sister " mom, better do carry on"..sent my sister into a panic..she tends to pack for a family of 5 and was beside herself. me, i've had too many bags delayed/some lost on airlines that whenever possible i carry on..just my own hang up/survival !!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

We thought of doing carry on just in case, but...we have 3 flights to get us to St. Thomas and the thought of having to drag the bags on and off 3 planes...ick. So we will take our chances with checked. Also, I can't make do with 1 carry on!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:16 AM

Additionally, they give you rum punch in a dixie cup upon arrival at the airport just so you won't notice if there's a wait for your luggage.