Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Lucaya (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/lucaya-222327/)

Steven May 19th, 2002 06:47 AM

Lucaya

Considering Lucaya for a one week stay with<BR>wife and two children in Mid June. Has anybody on this forum stayed there or have <BR>any input. Also would like to consider St. Johns and St. Barts but I feel as though it<BR>is not possible on a 3,500 budget. Any thoughts? Thanks, Steve W. in Birmingham,AL.

jeff May 19th, 2002 01:07 PM

are you talking about Our Lucaya resort in Freeport?

steve.w May 19th, 2002 01:11 PM

Yes, Lucaya in the Bahamas

Danny May 19th, 2002 04:27 PM

Steven,<BR> Try my amateur web site at www.fortunecity.com/oasis/bahia/443/index.htm<BR>There are links there to recent trip reports, over 150 pictures of GBI and a message board devoted to GBI. A good deal on information is there on Our Lucaya. If you have other questions feel free to email me at home. Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Danny

hostlerk May 21st, 2002 09:47 AM

Steven,<BR> We received very poor customer service at Our Lucaya and a very ambivolent attitude when we voiced our concerns. However, we just received a 3 night voucher in the mail to make up for our poor experience, so they have at least attempted to make us feel they care about customer service.<BR>There is no comparison between St. Barths/St. John and Freeport. St. Barths is a very upscale island with very small hotels and excellent restaurants, however it is more expensive. Our Lucaya is a huge resort with many "run of the mill" restaurants and fits the "American tourist" description, but your kids would probably enjoy the pools, slides, evening shows, and buffets. Just don't go there expecting attentive service as the resort is just too big for the staff to handle. I suggest saving St. Barths for a trip with just you and your wife because it is more of a romantice adult-geared island. You may be able to go for a week for under $3500 - Look at WIMCO's packages and maybe look into a villa. With a villa you could eat at home for breakfast and lunch and then splurge on dinner. Good luck and feel free to e-mail me directly with any other questions - St. Barth or Our Lucaya questions.

Mike May 22nd, 2002 01:08 PM

Check out Destinations St. John (villa rental service) for villas in St. John. Also, you might like the cottages at Village St. Jean in St. Barts. Another possibility is the Copamarina Beach Club in Guanica Puerto Rico near Ponce. Timothy Beach Resort in St. Kitts is another affordable place but I don't know what your airfare would be. Having kitchen facilities will definitely cut down on expenses--try other villa companies like WIMCO or Villas of Distinction. Where2Stay.com will give you rates and travelers reviews for hotels and villas in all islands--great information.

George May 22nd, 2002 01:17 PM

My suggestion, STAY AWAY! Better service in a Motel 6. I spent 21 days there on business last July. <BR>Never Again<BR>Good luck,<BR>PS ST. John is 100% Nicer, Take a 10.00 ferry Shopping in St. Thomas

Steven May 23rd, 2002 09:25 PM

Thanks for the input. I ended up booking a week at a private villa<BR>on St.John.I will share the experience when I return. Esteban Blanco.

Jean Jun 9th, 2002 12:51 PM

Hi,<BR>Agree with a couple of these Previous entries. My husband and I and our then 5 year old daughter stayed at Our Lucaya last year and the service was awful. The resort itself is beautiful but not worth it for bad service and run of the mill burgers for food.<BR>How about St. Thomas instead of St. John? We stayed on St. John for our honeymoon and there isn't that much to do for children. St. Thomas has more to do and bigger resorts. You can always go to St. John and do the Natural Park tour for the day.<BR>Good luck to you and hope it all turns out well.