Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   LTI Beach Resort Punta Cana - just returned (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/lti-beach-resort-punta-cana-just-returned-566780/)

paulalou Oct 25th, 2005 05:44 AM

LTI Beach Resort Punta Cana - just returned

We just returned from the LTI Beach Resort in Punta Cana....great stay. The place is really quite nice. The rooms are standard fare - maybe Holiday Inn quality, but roomy and serviceable. All rooms have a balcony or patio. There are NO irons in the room or available on site - they want you to use therr laundry service. Be sure to bring a travel iron. I never leave home without mine, just in case.

The beach is gorgeous - they really have one of the nicest stretches of beach - they neighbor the Caribe Pricess and the Paradisus on one side (their beach definitely had rougher water - less of a reef in front of them) and the Riu resorts and the Iberostar on the other. This was also a good stretch of beach, but it got narrower and rockier the further away we walked from the resort. No problems finding a palapa or chairs in the shade at LTI - and people were not running out to save them at 6 a.m. Lots of chairs by the pool too - no pool floats, so bring your own if you want one. No pool bar either, but the grill bar is very close to the pool.

The food was okay - buffet fare is what it is. The seafood restaurant was pretty good, though it only had one fish selection on the menu - unless you wanted to pay extra - then there were plenty of selections. The Italian restaurant was basically a salad bar and pasta buffet with very limited selection. They had a full pizza menu - some basic ones were included in the AI fee, some were with additional cost. The house wines were quite drinkable -both red and white.

Yes -they cater to the European tourist industry, but that really isn't a problem. there were quite a few families when we were there. Bulk of the clientele seemed to be in the 30-50 age range. There is plenty of topless subathing and speedo bathing trunks. Unless that truly is offensive to you, it is not a problem.

Let me know if I can give you more specific info.....

Jackie1214 Oct 28th, 2005 07:36 AM

Is there a small disco wirh included drinks. There are not many reviews on this hotel. This is the first I read about extra money for food. Do you have any pictures? Was looking at this hotel or the Grand Paradise. If we spend more should we pick the Iberostar Punta Cana or Rui Taino?

paulalou Oct 28th, 2005 10:46 AM

There is a disco and nightly shows - at both places the drinks are included.

You could eat at the seafood and italian restuarants at your all inclusive rate, but there was a separate menu offered for shrimp and other seafood items as well as for multiple topping pizzas in the italian place. These items woud incur an extra cost. They also have a lobster fest on Wed and Sat for $20 per person. These extra charges are billed to your room - you pay at check out.

We walked past the Iberostar - HUGE -and the Riu properties. I think it depends on what you are looking for - LTI is smaller with an intimate feel - we talked to poeple who stayed at the Iberostar and they said they did a lot of walking, BUT they had more dining options as well....

paulalou Oct 28th, 2005 10:48 AM

I forgot - I do have pictures posted in my review on tripadvisor.com

Jackie1214 Oct 28th, 2005 12:09 PM

I will look on trip advisor. I prefer a smaller resort. I've never heard of thses extra's at an all-inclusive before. Can;t decide on where to stay

Jackie1214 Oct 28th, 2005 12:12 PM

Sorry- more questions.... was the water calm? I can't find the LTI on a resort map- What hotel was it next to? Was the buffet airconditioned? Apple doesn't list that hotel-what compay did you book your trip with for the LTI and how did you make your decision? Thank for for your help.

Shauneen Oct 31st, 2005 06:49 PM

Hi
We just booked for New Years. The travel agent discribed LTI as a "diamond in the rough". We have never been to an all inclusive. What is the evening dress code? Was there easy access to the sailboats and windsurfers? Was the beverage selections limited? Are reservations needed for dinner? Thanks

paulalou Nov 1st, 2005 06:51 AM

The water at LTI was calm - some of the resorts on either side (Riu and Caribe Princess) didn't have the reef directly in front of their hotels, so the water was a bit rougher - people were boogie boarding there, just to give you an idea.

The buffet is open air with ceiling fans - as are all the restaurants on site - airconditioning in the rooms, gift shops and the disco. You do need reservations for the seafood and Italian restaurant - the two a la carte restaurants, but they were not difficult to get when we were there. They take reservations daily starting at 7 a.m. in the buffet restaurant at the seating station.

We booked through TNT Travel - there were quite a few Canadians there on our trip - and I have been conversing with someone on Debbiesdomincantravel.com that is travelling next week from Canada - I can check which tour group she booked through.

We have been to several all inclusives in Mexico, Jamaica, Nassau and the Dominican. We've stayed at Sandals and Secrets (closer to top of the line) and less known resorts. We were looking for a quiet week for some desperately needed R&R - and we got it. We were not looking to be involved in activities all day and all night. We truly enjoyed our week. To give you a comparison- I would put the rooms like a Holiday Inn standard. The grounds and beach were gorgeous.

Evening dress code was business casual, with the emphasis on casual. I like to dress for dinner after being on the beach all day. They do ask men to be in long pants - though the European men werenostly in 3/4 length pants - men were not necessarily in collared shirts. Women had sundresses, capri pants or long shifts - nothing too fancy. Just a little more dressed that daytime wear.

There were numerous Hobie Cats for sailing, windsurfing and kayaks (singleor double)readily available for use. The area is perfect for that kind of activity.

Beverages - the house wines, both red and white were fine - and I am a wine drinker. The beer is Presidente - a local beer, which was also fine. The drinks are mixed quite well, not watered down like some places - we did not miss the premium brands, which you could have for an exra cost(Absolut, etc.)

I agree with your travel agent - LTI is a diamond in the rough and there are plans to continue to improve - they are in the process of building a spa and fitness center, which will be a plus.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.