Low key, low budget long weekend, where?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Tiredhubby

Low key, low budget long weekend, where?

My husband dragged himself through the door last night and said he has to getaway for some R and R, with sun, palm trees and a pina colada, and who am I to argue? Trouble is, we are on a budget because of a house renovation. Help us find someplace to go for a long weekend flying from NY for about $1,000 (for both!)in January. We need to get away from sheetrock, phones and circular saws. Thank you!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:00 AM
s

You have to find a place where the Airfare won't eat up much of the $1000. If you are flying from the east coast try the Bahamas, Cancun or Cozumel.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:34 AM
rqf

Check out this site

http://top20.travelzoo.com/

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:55 AM
cdt

Good bets would be a charter to Cancun or either charter or commercial air to Montego Bay.

Bahamas are a bit cool in January.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:47 AM
tabatha

Bahamas will be a bit chilly, and will cost more than mexico. I would contact a travel agent for cancun. You can get a cheap charter flight and you can find a lot of small hotels around the strip for decent prices. Try the toucan - cun! its no 5 star but very clean and comfortable

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Penney

Agree that Bahamas can be chilly this time of year. Agree to look into Mexico - Cancun or just outside in Riveria Maya (?).

A good starting point is www.libertytravel.com as they do run alot of specials. Travel Zoo is another good link as is Changes In L'Attitude.

Jamaica is also not a bad suggestion but would stay in the MoBay area for a short trip.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:45 PM
GM

We are in the NYC area also (AND finishing up with rennovations too - Yikes!), and with your budget, per my sister's recommendation, I'd say the Dominican Republic.

Check out the airlines' websites (i.e., American Airlines Getaways, Continental's Cool Vacations, etc.) for prices / places, too.

Remember, tho, you are going to the Caribbean during high season, so you might have to stretch that $1,000 to maybe $1,200.

Better going to the Caribbean than Home Depot anyday! Hope this helps.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:50 PM
xxx

AA and others are coming out today with sales, can travel though April but must purchase soon. Try aamerican.vacations.com also if you are interested in a charter which most people are not, that would be less expensive. I would try Mexico, or the all faithful inexpensive Punta Cana. Not a bad flight from NY at all. We did it early and were on the beach early p.m. in 80 degree weather.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Tiredhubby

Too funny GM, Home Depot is now a four letter word at our house. Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been surfing all day and have actually come up with a few things in Jamaica and the DR.

We may indeed have to go slightly overbudget, but what the hell, that's the story of our lives lately, vacations, remodeling, it's all the same.