Lovers of Jamaica

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:39 AM
John

Lovers of Jamaica

I enjoy travelling about and a freind and i shall travel from Miami to Jamaica - i am unsure as to the 'best' parts of Jamaica and would appreciate any suggestions or experiences you could share with me.I am not really up for the touristy parts as i am not here for a holiday but to experience day to day life on this island.Thanks in anticipation. John.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:23 AM
beach lover

definitely go off the beaten track then.
my favorite part of ja is treasure beach because the people there are so friendly and warm. i've been many times and have made friends with the local fisherman there and really got to immerse myself in their lifestyle, which is the allure that keeps taking me back there. the landscape is a little different as it is almost desert-like but still very beautiful. i usually stay at jake's (www.islandoutpost.com) which is a funky collection of shacks very hippy and you either love it or hate it based on past posts i've seen on it here. but there are plenty of other places to stay at. go to www.treasurebeach.net for more info. my favorite activity there is to take a boat ride out the first day i'm there to sunny island, a patch of sand in the middle of the ocean about a 1/2 hour ride from calabash bay. the boat captain will spear fish for lobsters, etc. and cook us lunch right there on the beach. awesome! also you must have lunch or dinner at little ochie's in alligator pond, yum. you can also take a boat ride up the black river to check out the mangrove and crocodiles. be prepared though for a long drive from montego bay - almost 3 hours.
port antonio is also beautiful, lush & tropical like you would imagine jamaica to be like. there are barely any big resorts out there & the beaches are pristine, again the people are very friendly.
i've been to negril a few times too, and the beach is beautiful & there is good local nightlife - the only drawback is that it has become so touristy there in recent years (spring break especially) that the local vendors are very aggressive and can be annoying/even threatening at times. but it is almost worth the visit anyway.
have a great time. jamaica is great.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:15 AM
John

Beach lover thanks for your info.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:30 AM
tivertonhouse

Beachlover:Ralph, the original German baker with JuJu, is planning to re-open Trans-Love in TB next winter season when the road in front is finished.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:24 AM
beach lover

tiverton, thanks for that info, i was wondering what was going on w/ trans love!