Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Loved Ti Kaye Village,Liked Young Island... need small, quiet & romantic with villas and snorkeling off the beach

Loved Ti Kaye Village,Liked Young Island... need small, quiet & romantic with villas and snorkeling off the beach

Aug 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Any ideas? Peter Island is too expensive... Really loved Ti Kaye but would like to try something new this Dec.

Must have good snorkeling off beach - we really do not like to take day trips .. just wake up, eat , and roll down to beach to snorkel and kayak. We love the idea of no tv's or phone! We also love outdoor showers, hammocks on our deck, good food, seclusion (no strip hotels around), litle tree frogs and being able to see loads of stars.

Looking at Cooper Island Beach Club, doesn't look as romantic as Ti Kaye, but seems small, quiet and says it has good snorkeling?

Also looking at Biras Crrek and Petit St vincent, however they may go over our budget this year.

No Caneel Bay as it has too many people. We love to only have at most 20 other couples around. Nice and quiet.

I feel like I've scoured the internet for months.. in the end we may go back to Ti Kaye but any other suggestions would be great!

Thank you
Lisa
Aug 28th, 2006, 05:52 AM

I've never stayed at Cooper Islad, but I did get to snorkel there last year when on a daysail from Tortola. It's very rustic, much more so than the 2 places you mentioned staying already.

The snorkeling, however, was excellent just off shore and down the side of the island and I would highly recommend it.

I wouldn't call the atmosphere there romantic, exactly, but it was fun and laid back. Then again, romance is what you make of it, after all!

Another casual spot you might want to try would be the Guavaberry Spring Bay villas on Virgin Gorda. they're quite reasonable in price and just a short walk from Spring Bay, which folks say is among the best snorkeling on VG.
Aug 28th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Petit St. Vincent seems to meet your description, with the beachfront cottages being closer to the water/snorkeling than Ti Kaye. I'd take a closer look at Caneel, though. You liked Young Island with its tiny beach, which feels more crowded than any of the SEVEN tree-shaded white sand beaches + wade in snorkeling at Caneel. Caneel is so sprawling that it never feels crowded. Maybe a handful of people on a beach at any time. It's almost like having several small resorts on one peninsula, and you get to enjoy all of them. If the water isn't right for snorkeling on a particular beach one day, hit another one.
Aug 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Hi Lisaspardel ~

I don't know if this resort has good snorkeling but Nisbet Plantation on Nevis has what you are looking for in every other area. Our wish list is much like yours and this is a place we have been looking forward ot visiting.

I know someone here will know if the snorkeling is good there. It might not be.

Good luck with your search!
Aug 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM

I also vote for PSV! Wonderful resort!
Aug 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Cat Island , Bahamas...Fernandez Bay Village..www.fernandezbayvillage.com -- think it might be what you're looking fo !!!
Aug 29th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Hi Tiff,

Nisbet is wonderful but the snorkeling isn't.

The water is very choppy and not clear until you get quite a way from the beach. We snorkeled off Provo Turks & Cacios last year and Nisbet's snorkeling did not compare.

I love to snorkel but would visit Nisbet over Coral Gardens on T&C purely for the relaxation and service.

Go for it Tiff, you WILL love it
Aug 29th, 2006, 08:17 PM

One day I will discover how to make the word "wonderful" on bold, italics and underlined
Aug 30th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Thanks for reply alya - I knew good Carib Fodorite would reply!! Too bad for Lisaspardel, I was hoping that the snorkeling would be good because Nisbet sure met all her other requirements.

Someday we will make it there, thanks for the rec, I am sure we will love it.

Lisaspardel ~ Keep us posted on which good snorkeling spot you decide on, sorry my idea was a wash.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. Still looking. Anyone heard of Coral Reef Club in Barbados or Saltwhistle Basy Club in Mayerau? If so any comments on the places or snorkeling from beach?

Also - keep hearing good reviews of beach snorkeling off of Provo.. however it seems like a 'strip' hotel type of place? Is it? Is the beach snorkeling really that great? Recommendations for quiet, place to stay / beach snorkeling / and under $300 a night?

Thanks again everyone
Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:11 PM

It's funny - I was about to post to this board about our decision to stay at BOTH TiKaye and Stonefield, since we can't decide between them, when I saw your message. I think what I've been trying to recreate, on a different island, our experience at Petitbyahaut on St. Vincent. It has fabulous snorkeling off the beach, kayaks you can use, outdoor showers, hammocks on your deck, no tvs, tree frogs,good food, and lots of seclusion (you arrive by boat). Also very reasonable, much more so than the resort also on St. Vincent. Would love to hear what you thought of TiKaye - the beach looks a little iffy to us.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM

whoops - meant to say Anse Chastanet AND Stonefield, because of our reservations about TiKaye.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM

Coral Reef Club is exceptional! The class act on the island. Family-owned for 50 years, low-rise or cottages, plantation style, beautiful grounds. At the edge of an underwater park with decent snorkeling. See www.coralreefbarbados.com
Saltwhistle Bay Club is really remote outpost remote. We visited on a day
trip. Strangely, the rooms/cottages didn't have a view from inside the room; you had to go on the roof. Mixed feelings.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM

Lisa

I can't say that Coral Gardens will fit your needs but it cannot be classed as "strip" if you want to get there from the other large resorts you have a long walk or a cab ride

When are you visiting?

That does make a difference to how quiet the resort will be

Do you recommend Ti Kaye? I'm looking for somewhere for our 25th anniversary

Then again the is this house we'd like to buy