Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Loved Caneel, but now we have kids, other suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/loved-caneel-but-now-we-have-kids-other-suggestions-921472/)

Annieinchicago Jan 26th, 2012 05:58 PM

Loved Caneel, but now we have kids, other suggestions?

Hello! I'm looking for suggestions on someplace to go on a family vacation. My husband and I have been to St. John twice, staying at caneel and gallows point. We love it, but now we have a 1&1/2 year old and a 3 year old. St. John is a lot of travel time with two little ones and neither of the resorts we have stayed at seem ideal for such little ones. I am eager to go someplace warm again. Suggestions for more kid-friendly places? We love snorkeling! We are not looking for ,much in the way of nightlife. A resort that has childcare services and/or good activities for toddlers would be great. Ideas?

qwovadis Jan 27th, 2012 01:48 AM

All the Hyatts have great child care from personal experience.
atlantis.com tonnes of fun for kids close to the US might have a look. boookit.com for kid friendly AIs also Club Meds
For upscale littledixbay.com When my son was young we enjoyed briland.com runawayhill.com pinksandsresort.com valentinesdive.com A LOT.

My fav pretty little out island for upscale travel.

TPAYT Jan 27th, 2012 06:59 AM

Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos. Easy to get to and child friendly. If you stayed at Caneel, you might have the budget for "Beaches"---a bit pricey. Otherwise research Turks & Caicos for some very child friendly places. There's a lot of trip reports on this subject.

Some other suggestions on Grace Bay:
The Sands
Ocean Club West
Royal West Indies
Alexandra
Coral Gardens
And on up to higher priced places.

Jimmie Jan 27th, 2012 07:59 AM

Secret Harbour and Ritz Carleton (St. Thomas).

sharona Jan 27th, 2012 08:33 AM

In addition to the above suggestions, Four Seasons usually have a ton of families so they must be doing something right for kids. We've been to both the Nevis and Punta Mita, Mexico Four Seasons and there were lots (and lots) of kids.

You might want to check out the Ritz Carlton on Grand Cayman as well. I believe they are very family-friendly.

The Marriott on St. Kitts has a playground and kids' programs. They also have some time-share accommodations that might work nicely for young children who still need naps. Also, the Marriott on Aruba has a very large time-share resort. An advantage to Aruba is that it's very easy to reach although some of the other islands, with the exception of St. John, might also be non-stop for you.

The Westin on St. John is also very kid-friendly in case you decide to return to St. John.

wliwl Jan 27th, 2012 08:48 AM

This is way off topic, but the best beach vacations we took when our kids were little was to rent a wonderful house right on the beach on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. So relaxing, so much beach time, so much fun.