Love to Snorkle-Can't swim

Jul 11th, 1998, 06:25 PM
RV

Love to Snorkle-Can't swim

I love to snorkle but I am unable to tread water. Are there many areas where one can snorkle yet still have my feet touching bottom?

Jul 11th, 1998, 07:23 PM
Lisa

There are plenty of places for you to snorkel. You can also use a snorkel vest for where your feet do not touch bottom.

Lisa

Jul 13th, 1998, 09:15 AM
Louis Dameson

Go to the YMCA and learn to swim properly. My wife did at the age of 62 yrs. and it changed her life. Go do it. You don't know what you are missing. You can then snorkel and also enjoy swimming which is the type of exercise that will keep you young the rest of your life. At the age of 82 she was snorkeling in Fiji last May.

Jul 16th, 1998, 05:01 AM
TC

I too can't tread water, but snorkel three times a day every winter in Cozumel. I use a water skier's bouyancy belt. They are much less cumbersome than the snorkeling vests. The vests put your head at an odd angle and made my neck hurt for days. The belt gives you the ability to tread water just like a pro. In the salt water you really don't need much assistance (its mostly just floating), just a little emotional security and a skier's belt will do the trick just fine. Fins are another thing that will make the snorkeling process much easier. Good Luck.

Jul 16th, 1998, 05:07 AM
TC

Just a more note: Snorkeling with your feet touching bottom is NOT a good idea. I've seen too many people in serious trouble, trying to step on or cling to coral when the current takes them into unexpected depths. Holdng on to coral will not only cut you very badly, it will kill the coral. I urge every snorkeler to resist touching or collecting sea specimens of any kind. Although coral LOOKS like rock, it is very fragile and once damaged will take more than our lifetime to grow again. Thanks.

Jul 18th, 1998, 06:00 AM
Kathy

My husband is one of those people who can't float, and he has been very successful snorkeling in the Caribbean and in the Keys. He wears a life jacket or snorkeling vest, and has found that in salt water he can float better than at home in the lake. You can usually rent one or it is provided for you. We have even bought our own gear, so that we can be sure to get masks that fit. He wasn't able to snorkel at one beach, because the mask he rented on our cruise ship didn't fit. He sat on the beach that day, but now that we bring our own gear we know it can't happen again.

Jul 18th, 1998, 06:22 AM
dimi

RV - if you go to Grand Cayman you can snorkle in as little as two feet of water. I'm not a great swimmer at all and always stay were I can touch. have no fear.

Jul 24th, 1998, 10:17 AM
Rhea

Thank you all for your kind and understanding responses. I have gained some valuable advice and feel more confident in having a great time!

Jul 30th, 1998, 07:46 AM
Missy

I was just wondering if it is any fun to snorkel when your feet touch the bottom - is the water deep enough to see any fish or anything?? I am scared of sharks and hate to go in the deep water, but I thought you had to go into relatively deep water in order to see all the fish, et al.

Aug 1st, 1998, 12:06 PM
Celine Poon

I was in Jamaica but I couldn't swim. You can ask
for the boatman to take you to areas where you can
snorkle and touch the ground. However, the fish
are very small but they are still beautiful.

Aug 1st, 1998, 12:06 PM
Celine Poon

I was in Jamaica but I couldn't swim. You can ask
for the boatman to take you to areas where you can
snorkle and touch the ground. However, the fish
are very small but they are still beautiful.

Aug 8th, 1998, 11:09 AM
Rose

This conversation thread has really put my mind at rest. We are going to try snorkeling for the first time at Grand Cayman but my husband doesn't swim. All the tips really made be feel much more comfortable about the whole thing! THANKS :-}

Aug 22nd, 1998, 10:17 AM
Eleanor

Grand Cayman is perfect but be sure to visit Stingray City. Water is only up to your waste, & clear as glass in case you decide not to go ahead with the snorkeling. This way you won't miss the unbelievable sight of the stingrays surrounding your party! BTW...dont forget your disposable underwater camera. You'll kick yourselves if you do!!

Aug 23rd, 1998, 06:13 AM
Donna F

I was a timid snorkler and my swimming ability is more of a desperate dog paddle. I would suggest becoming comfortable with the mask and breathing thru the tube in shallow water to gain confidence. Caribbean water is much more boyant so it's easier to swim but I wore a lifebelt before I became more confident. The best snorkeling is in rocky areas so you don't want to touch unless it's a real rock and not coral. On St. John USVI there's great snorkeling in shallow water and only a few yards from shore in the rock areas of most beaches. I gained more confidence each day. Have a great time. Be careful about what sunscreen you use. We wore tee shirts to be on the safe side sometimes. Don't forget tops of ears! Have a great trip.

Aug 23rd, 1998, 08:16 AM
C

I too cannot swim nor can I float. I have found ways around this and am offering them to you. Once way around this is to go on a snorkeling trip and wait until youre about to depart from the boat and into the wates, place your feet firmly on the rail and then leap as best you can onto the top of the closest snorkeler. Cling for dear life and explain to him/her that if they dont calm down and just swim youll both drown. At that point, put on your mask and enjoy the sights. I find it best to have the person swim as they would normally and I cling to their back looking down into the water over their shoulders. An added niceity of this means of travel is that you can assist your "partner" by pointing out good areas to swim. If you've got someone who is really into it (and it doesnt happen often) you can work out a nice means of communication, a "spur" (kick) to his/her side indicates that you'd like to travel in that direction. Well best of luck and I hope you enjoy your trip. Oh yes, one more thing...make sure that you pick someone who appeaars to be fit ...if you get lucky they might even be cute and you can flirt with them as well. When onlookers expresses outrage and amazement, just tell them youve done this and for them to go about their business. Sarah

Aug 23rd, 1998, 08:16 AM
C

I too cannot swim nor can I float. I have found ways around this and am offering them to you. Once way around this is to go on a snorkeling trip and wait until youre about to depart from the boat and into the wates, place your feet firmly on the rail and then leap as best you can onto the top of the closest snorkeler. Cling for dear life and explain to him/her that if they dont calm down and just swim youll both drown. At that point, put on your mask and enjoy the sights. I find it best to have the person swim as they would normally and I cling to their back looking down into the water over their shoulders. An added niceity of this means of travel is that you can assist your "partner" by pointing out good areas to swim. If you've got someone who is really into it (and it doesnt happen often) you can work out a nice means of communication, a "spur" (kick) to his/her side indicates that you'd like to travel in that direction. Well best of luck and I hope you enjoy your trip. Oh yes, one more thing...make sure that you pick someone who appeaars to be fit ...if you get lucky they might even be cute and you can flirt with them as well. When onlookers expresses outrage and amazement, just tell them youve done this and for them to go about their business.