Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Losing my mind trying to pick honeymoon location! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/losing-my-mind-trying-to-pick-honeymoon-location-86099/)

Josh M. Sep 11th, 2000 07:38 AM

Losing my mind trying to pick honeymoon location!

Hello again. I've spent the past 2 weeks researching and pouring over this forum. Many thanks to all of the posts that so many have been gracious enough to provide. But, alas, I'm at a loss. I can't really find what I want, and am just going insane. <BR> <BR>Here's what I'm looking for: <BR> <BR>A nice resort that provides just about everthing, but not crowded and overpopulated like a Sandals, and more authentic caribbean decor than common hotel. A private jacuzzi or plunge pool would be especially nice, and a beachfront/near beach room, too. <BR> <BR>Seclusion would be great, but I'd also love to have access, by boat or car, to activities such as secluded beaches, snorkling, sightseeing, and shopping. I really like how Tortola and St. John sound as islands, but I can't find a place to stay that hasn't gotten bad reviews (www.where2stay.com and here) or isn't really expensive (I'm trying to stay around $2500-3000 for the 7-night stay, as airfare is crazy-$1600 for the two of us). <BR> <BR>Young Island sounds nice, but is there anything to do on St. Vincent? The Calabash on Grenada sounded pretty nice too, but the rooms are a bit back from the beach. Anguilla seems to be a great island too, and the only resort I could afford would be the Sonesta. Seemed kinda too hotel-ie to me...thoughts? What other island am I missing...Barbados? Turks/Caicos? I haven't had much luck with St. Lucia, and I question the experience outside of the resorts. I'd also like to avoid Mexico if possible. <BR> <BR>I'd really appreciate any help as I think I'm starting to go insane over this. It's a lot more than I ever expected! And I'd ask my finacee's opinions, but it's all going to be a surprise for her (she has enough to worry about!). <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>Josh M. <BR>[email protected]

Jeff Sep 11th, 2000 08:59 AM

Josh-- <BR> <BR>You are going to have to make some compromises. You cannot get everything that you want in your price range. Think about it: if someplace was that perfect and that inexpensive, don't you think it would incredibly popular and crowded? <BR> <BR>Either raise the bar on your expenses or pare down the list of important attributes. I suggest that you pick an island first and then work on a place to stay. What is most important? Beaches? Speaking English? Food? Safety? DO you want to feel like are in the US or in another country? <BR> <BR>Good luck. <BR> <BR>Jeff

Josh M. Sep 11th, 2000 09:43 AM

Jeff: <BR> <BR>Thanks for your response. I was afraid of that (although I don't think I'm being *that* cheap!). So, to answer your questions: I definitely don't want to feel like I'm in the US, but I don't speak any other languages :-(. And I'd have to go with location first, resort second. But even picking the island hasn't been easy. By the way, we're going May 7th, so I wasn't too sure of the temperature in Bermuda. <BR> <BR>Basically, I want an island that is not very touristy, commercialized, and full of high rise hotels. I'd like to be able to be on our own with a jeep for a few days or hop a boat to sightsee, shop, explore, hike, snorkle, and enjoy a beach all by ourselves. <BR> <BR>As for the accommodations, I'm more flexable. Although I do want there to be a good range of things offered or included (breakfast, sunset cruises, watersport equip., etc.) a unique (not American) setting. <BR> <BR>Frenchman's Cay was sounding good, and a lot of the posts here regard it very highly, but the recent reviews I read at www.where2stay.com were discouraging. The Calabash (Grenada) seems to be coming the closest as does Young Island. <BR> <BR>Thoughts? <BR> <BR>Thanks!!! <BR> <BR>Josh

Jeff Sep 11th, 2000 10:55 AM

Josh-- <BR> <BR>I didn't mean to imply that you are being cheap, just pointing out the realities of the situation. Sorry. <BR> <BR>St. Bart's and Anguilla sound like they would both fit your criteria perfectly, but they are both quite expensive. <BR> <BR>There are some very nice small resorts in the Bahamas (away from Nassau and Paradise Island). By May, it will be plenty warm there and the flying time will be shorter than going further south. <BR> <BR>The BVI sound nice, but I haven't been. Based on your criteria, I would avoid Jamaica, St. Thomas, Aruba, St. Martin and St. Lucia. <BR> <BR>I'll snoop around the Bahamas and let you know what I find. <BR> <BR>Jeff

Bex Sep 11th, 2000 11:12 AM

Have you thought of St Croix? Check out <BR>www.st-croix.com/rentavilla/index.html <BR>The sugar mill villa is my favorite. Btw, I used to live on STX

Josh M. Sep 11th, 2000 11:13 AM

Jeff, thanks for your help. I wasn't really implying what you thought, I'm just more surprised that everything is so expensive. Then again, I'm only 25, and have never been to the Caribbean at all... <BR> <BR>I really appreciate your help, and will check out the Bahamas further. I might also start looking into bed and breakfasts, as I really don't see us needing much more than a good breakfast before hanging at the beach, and cruising in the jeep around the island, etc. But the niceties of small resorts are pretty tempting too. I guess I just need to pick an island and decide from there...ugh! <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Josh

Josh M. Sep 11th, 2000 11:15 AM

As for St. Croix, my mom had gone years and years ago and thought it was very commercialized. I had been checking out the Buccanneer, and I'll check out your link as well. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the response! <BR> <BR>Josh

Josh M. Sep 11th, 2000 11:25 AM

Just to clarify the $$$ amounts, I'm aiming for around $4000-4500 including airfare. The $2500-3000 I mentioned earlier was just for the stay at the resort in May. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Josh

Gin Sep 11th, 2000 12:50 PM

<BR>Hi Josh, <BR>I can't think of a place that has everything you're looking for. St. Croix is a great island, but I don't think it suits your criteria at all. Great island to live on though! <BR> <BR>Have you considered Barbados? Look at the Casuarina in the St. Lawrence Gap. No private pool, but it's a really beautiful property. Lots of flowers, nice beach, activities, evening entertainment, etc. <BR> <BR>There's a lot to do on Barbados; natural sights abound, decent shopping, wonderful restaurants, watersports, historical attractions. Snorkeling stinks, but hey, you can't have everything. It's modern enough to have what you need, but you are very aware that you are in a foreign country. You can easily daytrip to St. Lucia or to the Grenadines & really make your holiday special. <BR> <BR>You've got plenty of time to plan yet, so don't worry. Travel agents will try to rush you to lock in your bucks, but as long as you have your plans in place by Feb, you should be fine. <BR> <BR>As for negative reviews, remember that there's no place that pleases everybody & everyone experiences a place differently. And some people have trouble adjusting to island time, expecting things to pop along like they do in the states, & totally defeating the purpose. <BR> <BR>Take a breath. Get yourself some rum & reggae. Don't get overwhelmed. <BR> <BR>I understand the desire for everything to be perfect, as our dreams about islands. Just pick a destination & go for it --- you'll have a great time wherever you land. You'll be so taken by the gorgeous water & sunsets that you won't mind if everything's not perfect. <BR> <BR>Oh, & by the way, Bermuda is wonderful in May. <BR> <BR>:-) Gin

Arubasun. Sep 11th, 2000 04:30 PM

Aruba seems ideal for you.. You can stay at the Costa Linda Beach Resort it is located on Aruba's and the Caribbeans widest expanse of white sandy beach. Believe me the beach infront of the Costa Linda is uncrowded. But what you would like the most is that Costa Linda is very Aruban like hotel with nice decor and a original Lobby. If you would like to stay at the Costa Linda ask for the three bedroom suite. A three bedroom suite does have a huge patio all beach front view with your own private yacuzzi. <BR> <BR>If you would like to have more info regarding Costa Linda which I think is the best place for you check out their website at: <BR> <BR>www.costalinda.com <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, and have wonderful honeymoon wherever you go..

dorrie Sep 11th, 2000 07:14 PM

I recently stayed at the Calabash and loved both the hotel and the island. The hotel only has 33 rooms-so all are very near the beach. The beach is quite private-which I liked. You can visit more populated beaches on the island. Grenada is not too touristy-lots to do-both beaches and rain forest. You can also arrange a day trip to the Tobago Cays. We chose Grenada over Young Island as there appeared to be more to do. The people were very friendly-a great vacation.

Josh M. Sep 12th, 2000 06:02 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your responses!! <BR> <BR>Gin, thanks for chilling me down...I have been really overwhelmed and was afraid that I didn't have much time left. It's nice to know that I don't need to kill myself over this...yet. ;-D <BR> <BR>Arubasun: I'll check those out, thanks! <BR> <BR>Dorrie: What type of room did you get? Pool? Whirlpool? How was it? Lots to do? I'm still leaning towards the Calabash...how was Grenada? <BR> <BR>Thanks again to everyone!!! I'll keep on looking and looking, and one day, just like the good ol' fiancee, it'll all be clear. :-) <BR> <BR>Josh

Barbara Sep 12th, 2000 06:11 AM

JOsh <BR>relax! I think you got the bridegroom jitters. The caribbean is the perfect place for a honeymoon and there are so many places to choose from. It is hard to choose because each hotel and each island has so much to offer. Just make a choice based on what looks best to you and know that it will be a wonderful vacation and honeymoon wherever you choose. The truth is you really can't go wrong.

Josh M. Sep 12th, 2000 06:36 AM

You are completely correct. However, when I start researching something I normally get in too deep. I have a picture in my head of what I want, and will find it, it's just a matter of time. I'm glad to hear you all say that I have some time...I'm much more laid back now!!! And there definitely are a LOT of choices! <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Josh <BR>

emily Sep 12th, 2000 08:23 AM

Perhaps you might consider a cruise. They are the best value for your dollar as far as food, entertainment and choices of things to do. You might be able to get a good rate in May. Good luck!!

Rick Sep 12th, 2000 08:33 AM

Josh, first off, do relax as everyone has said you have plenty of time. You sound like me, I usually start to enjoy the vacation before hand because I know things are done and dont have to worry about plans anymore. Trying to give you pure honesty here: I have been to Aruba, Grand Cayman, Australia, Bermuda, Tortola, St Thomas, St John, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Antigua, Maui; I understand there are many more to see also. For what you have asked for I would probably recommend Tortola. It was my most recent trip back in May but also one of my most relaxing in a long time. The resorts that people have mentioned Frenchmans Cay (we stayed here), Long Bay, Heritage, Ft Recovery; all would be a good choice. The problem I think you will have is that each place will not satisfy all your needs. Tortola is safe, clean, and laid back; you need to choose a place that you believe you will like and then use the island as your resort. We never really stayed at the hotel very much, there is a lot of exploring to do by Jeep if you like. There are no timeshare sellers, no pressure for buying of local goods or anything similar to what I have seen on many other islands. I know that will make some mad but it is the truth. Your budget is actually pretty good in my opionion. You can still find a nice place for $100-$200 per night and be very happy. I am slightly biased because It was my most recent trip but I also have seen quite a few of the islands and would return to Tortola again in a minute. I have a trip report if you would like it also, let me know. <BR>Congrats and good luck. <BR>Rick

Papaya Pie Sep 12th, 2000 11:26 AM

<BR>Hi Josh! <BR>Gin is right on the money about February. Pour yourself that rum punch, research the islands leisurely on the net & in magazines & start honing in on an island that really appeals to you. Late January or February usually brings a fare sale for dates thru May. That's the time to watch the airlines for rates to drop. Ask how long the fare is good, put a 24 hr. hold on both the air & your hotel(s), then buy your tickets/confirm your reservations for matching dates. You'll probably save over a package, especially if you were thinking of buying this early. <BR> <BR>Also, if you buy a package, get there & hate the place, you're stuck. Booking on your own w/ a deposit allows you to move to another hotel if you're not happy. Just stay the night or two to cover the deposit. I rarely stay at a place that requires full payment in advance. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time planning your honeymoon, hon! <BR> <BR>Don't worry bout a ting, cause every little ting's gonna be alright. : - ) <BR> <BR>~PP

Josh M. Sep 12th, 2000 11:27 AM

Rick, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your response. I definitely am considering Tortola a lot as well as Grenada. <BR> <BR>I had read some great things and some NOT so great things (www.where2stay.com) about Frenchmans which has thrown me off a bit. I wish their site had better pics of the rooms, etc. Do you or anyone else have any Frenchmans pics? <BR> <BR>I'd love to read your trip report. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your suggestions! <BR> <BR>Josh

rick Sep 12th, 2000 11:56 AM

Josh, I will send the report. I do not have any pics to share though, sorry. As you know there are different opinions about everything in life, keep that in mind. I thought FC was nice, clean, and reasonable for what you get. Some of the best views of Drake channel and very good size rooms. The only complaint as you will see is I thought we could have used a/c sometimes late in the night but maybe I am just spoiled. I would stay again at FC. I would probably rather save the extra money and stay at Heritage as I think you will also read below. The only thing people have to complain about that I have read is about management. The reason alot of people have complained is because the couple had a life altering event in that their son got shot while visiting St Thomas and is paralized for life now at 19 yrs old. We were there the week after it happened and the couple was very distraught, but who wouldnt be right. I would imagine that they are dealing with their grief better now and it probably isnt an issue. Hope this post helps again. By the way where are you flying from? If it is west coast, you may want to concider Hawaii although it may stretch your wallet a bit. <BR> <BR>

erika Sep 12th, 2000 02:17 PM

I think that I sound a bit like you... when I research something I tend to research it to death. I had researched the islands pretty extensively as my fiance and I are planning a destination wedding. Based on the 'net and board such as these - and a couple of personal recommendations from friends - we chose St John for our destination. It combined the best of both in my eye - touristy things like shopping (although it was very limited) and nature. We stayed at Gallows Point - which allowed us to have an oceanview room at a reasonable cost (we traveled in May, which was offseason) and also since they were condo units we saved on annoying little things like snacks, breakfast and lunch (and we could have dinner there too if we were too tired). <BR>St JOhn is a beautiful island, very "tropical" in the steroetypical sense of the term. There were a couple of beaches within walking distance, wonderful snorkling off our porch, and a very laid back atmosphere. Not as touristy as St Thomas, Jamaica or the Caymens - but not as remote feeling as the BVIs (which made for an interesting day trip). There are villas in the hills for the ultimate in privacy (wink wink) - which we are considering for our honeymoon. Caneel Bay might be worth considering for you - they may have a honeymoon package which brings down the rates some. <BR>Check out gallowspointresort.com for pictures and info. www.usvi-on-line.com has a very active forum and links to other forums for other islands with full trip reports. <BR> <BR>Whatever you choose - just remember that you are going to be on your honeymoon and that you should be concentrating on ways that will enable you to spend the most time with your honey!!