Looking to rejuvenate spirit and scuba naked

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 03:57 PM
Pete

Looking to rejuvenate spirit and scuba naked

Modern Thoreau is tired of being on the treadmill of big business, and in desperate need of recharging my batteries, so I need a place to go where I can wander out into a reef solo, explore interconnected underwater pools amongst these reefs, scuba naked if the feeling strikes me, hike to a private, hard to reach a pristine beach, settle down at night to NO night life, no crowds, loud kids, busy parents, couples copulating behind every sand dune, Carnival ports of call, teams of divers....you get the message. Is there a place in the Caribbean where one can still do this? Money is really no object, but privacy, primacy, nature, marine life, reefs and remoteness is.

Singles or young adventurous couples who have been on similar spritual voyages may be of help here. Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Bette

Dear Pete....Without a question, I suggest that you consider any of the Outer Islands of the Bahamas. If you want goregous beaches, feel like Robinson Crusoes, very few people, magnificent scuba (so I understand as we don't scuba) and snorkleing (we do)..and peacefulness, remoteness, and just complete rejuvenation, and relaxation please look into it!

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 02:30 PM
Pete

Thanks so much for your advice Bette. You may end up both saving me beaucoup bucks from going to the wrong place, and in helping me revitalize my flagging spirit.

Anyone else second Bette thoughts or have more to add? Most appreciated.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 03:11 PM
Kelly

Pete,

You might check out Guana Island in the BVI. Limited number of guests, nature reserve, and I believe the island is closed part of the year for marine biology research groups. There is no entertainment on the island. It looked appealing to me but I don't know if the dining arrangements will offer you the privacy you desire. Check it out and see what you think. Good luck and good respite!

Old May 1st, 2000, 05:06 PM
scigirl

Have to agree that the outer Bahama islands are the way to go. My husband and I honeymooned a few years ago on Grand (Great?) Guana Key which is a ferry ride off of Abaco Island. Very small, very quiet, no kids, hardly any other people at all, wonderful beach and ocean, lots of privacy. I think it was hit pretty hard by a hurricane last year - so islands in another area might be better. There are many to chose from, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 08:42 PM
pete

Scigirl,

What was the name of the hotel you stayed at? Was it any good? I've been considering some of the smaller aptflat deals....1 week for around $600-$700 which ain't too bad for a single.

I heard about a place called the Orange Blossom Hideaway in Great Cuana Cay which is where I may end up staying. Hope there is lots of sun, no clouds, pristine clear water.

Thanks for your help.

Old May 4th, 2000, 04:25 AM
Eva

If you are interested in the Out Islands of the Bahamas, esp. the Abacos (incl. Great Guana Cay), be sure to visit the Abaco Community Message Board (www.oii.net), a lively and well-informed group of Abaco residents, visitors and soon-to-be-visitors.

Just as a point of information, public nudity is against the law in the Bahamas, and the residents of the Abacos are known to be quite conservative. While many visitors do discretely indulge in nudity when in private and out of the sight of others who might be offended, please be respectful of local laws and attitudes.

Old May 4th, 2000, 05:46 AM
Bette

Dear Pete: We are leaving this June for Great Guana Cay off the coast of Abaco and staying at Guana Seaside Village. Will post a trip report upon our return.
Any questions, please email me...

Old May 4th, 2000, 03:57 PM
pamr

Out islands of Bahamas, out cays of Belize, Turks & Caicos, Bonaire, Dominica

Old May 4th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Anne

Just a word of caution: Be careful if you scuba naked. I was bitten by a fish in Cabo several years ago while standing chest deep in water clearing my snorkel mask. No one believed me until they saw the blood running down my back. Also, I was with my daughter in Grand Cayman recently and a fish bit her on the thigh while in deeper water snorkeling. ;-)