Looking for two different experiences on Turks & Caicos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've grabbed American FF seats for the Turks & Caicos, Nov. 26 to Dec. 4.

I'd like to split the trip up into two different experiences. This is a surprise trip for my husband's birthday. He's a diver, I'm not. At first I decided on Parrot Cay, then the West Bay Club. But Parrot Cay misled me on the 4th night free deal, so that's out. I can't afford the Amanyara (unless there are deals, and there never are). This is about him, not me, so diving is the first priority.
Any suggestions for two highly different locations (one a splurge perhaps) to sample for 4 nights each? (Or 3/5?) Walking to restaurants, full kitchen, easy walks to good snorkeling would be great for one stay. More remote for the first leg?
Leslie
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM

you might look at these houses for the more remote - walk out to snorkeling part of your trip.
from this site see - coriander cottage, nutmeg, ballyhoo & callaloo. these are all in a minute or 2 walk to some fabulous snorkeling at smith's reef. are also in walking distance (15+ mins) of 6 restaurants and a very good dive company - art pickerings provo turtle divers, & a car rental -scooter bob's - who will drop the car at your house before you arrive.
http://www.tcvillas.com/
if you wanted to be off grace bay beach find the maps on the site & look at the houses on ocean point. not directly on the beach but 2 beaches in walking distance & each comes with private dock you can swim off.

west bay club is quite nice & more or less remote as is next door turks & caicos club. not remote like parrot cay but away from the main resort area. i actually consider amanyara to be too far out. it takes 30-45 mins to drive on a unlit dirt road which is fine in daytime, but i wouldn't want to drive out there after dinner & cocktails.

this map might be useful. the small houses i mentioned above are near turtle cove marina. a bit down the beach are west bay & t&c club. to the left of the airport you'll see ocean point.
hope this helps.
http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM

If I were going to do this, I'd go to two different islands. Have you considered doing any one of the upscale condo resorts on Provo and then a few days on Grand Turk? Both islands have access to great diving.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

To both of you, many thanks. The map is terrific Virginia. I have considered Grand Turk though the places to stay look a bit funky and not much for me to do while my husband is snorkeling.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM

How were you misled on the 4th night free at Parrot Cay?
It's a gorgeous resort, did you ask a for a manager.

Another idea is stay on Provo the whole time, but day trip to other islands. I've also stayed at 2 different places in Provo, feels like 2 seperate vacations and easy to do. (for ex. West Bay Club and Somerset.)

West Bay Club is fantastic.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Blamona, at first the rteservations people told me the promotion deal was available on the nights I wanted. I said I would book. Then they said they made a mistake and those were blackout dates. I was mad and asked the agent to speak with the manager about making an exception, but she replied that promo wasn't available. Do you know the manager's name? The promo would allow me to get an oceanfront room. Without it, it's only a garden room, and some reviews say those are not worth the price.

I know you like the West Bay and it looks great, much more low key than other places, so that's still a possibility. I want to cook a couple of meals to save on the money we spend on the splurge place.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 01:33 PM

I am staying at the West Bay Club in February. It came very highly recommended. I am sure you will have a wonderful trip with your husband.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM

What are your dates for Parrot Cay?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM

I see your dates are over Thanksgiving, which is usually full at PC-it does say blackout dates apply. They don't have Thanksgiving as an actual holiday there (maybe why the person helping you didn't notice right away?), but that's a "peak" week. You probably could get that promotion Nov. 30-Dec. 4, did you ask about those dates?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Blamona, yes, they have Nov 30 thru Dec 4 but wanted to go to PC first. I did go to the site but it was a little unclear and I wanted to make sure, so I e-mailed the resort directly. The said Nov 26-Nov 30 WAS available on the 4th-night-free deal.

After I asked to book it, they e-mailed back saying the promo wasn't available. I'm just disappointed and inconvenienced because I booked elsewhere for the second leg after PC gave the thumbs up.

If we do decided to do PC later, should we first book at a GB resort closer to the "action" like the Somerset over a more remote spot such as the West Bay? We like good food. But the WB is better value it looks like.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM

somerset & WB club are maybe 10 mins apart by car.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 04:02 AM

Except for Amanyara, all the resorts are about 10 minutes from each other. Grace Bay is a really long beach-12 miles! Most resorts are along Grace Bay. WBC is closer to off the beach snorkeling, some are kind of far to walk and snorkel in the heat.

FYI not much snorkel or scuba from Parrot Cay without spending big bucks. (no snorkeling really at all.) Parrot Cay is about pampering and a fantastic spa on a private island.

Since you don't scuba, you should really stick to Provo, where all of the main vacationers go. Grand Turk is a terrific scuba destination, but it's more on the "rustic" side. However, if you spend a couple of nights, when a cruise ship is at port you can always shop at the pier, or hang out at the world's largest Margaritaville. It is a sleepy island, limited things to do while you're by yourself. From Provo, your hubby can be taken to West Caicos, with excellent diving, and you can go to the Palms Spa for treatments while you wait for him. Both of you can snorkel at Coral Gardens and even better at Smith's Reef. (both walkable from WBC.)

The other islands are even more rustic than Grand Turk. The main diving is Grand Turk, Salt Cay, and West Caicos (WC done from Provo). South Caicos has excellent diving, but currently no one there to take you out. (There's even a Blue Hole!) All but West Caicos require a flight. Salt Cay is quirky and colorful, with donkey's roaming the streets, but does have a stunning beach=probably the prettiest of them all. Places to stay there are definitely rustic-usually no A/C or TVs. It has a population of 80.

You should probably split your vacation with West Bay Club, and either Somerset or Regent Palms. Although they are the same beach, they are different in character. Plus, while hubby scubas, from either Somerset or Palms, you can walk around closer to the "hub." Keep in mind, while there's a spinkle of shops, they're aren't many. Even Provo is a fairly quiet destination.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks blamona. I e-mailed the PC manager and he honored the original deal! They have a diving company they reccommend called Blu Marine that I would presume picks up from the resort. I'll call to see. Or it may require an early morning boat ride from PC to Provo. Then we'll go back to Provo for either the WBC or Somerset of Palms. So thanks for all your help.
I decided against Gradn Turk (at least for now) because of the cruise ship contingent. We were on a long cruise with dockside shopping along the way and I don't want to be anywhere near that scene for many moons. Salt Cay sounds very interesting.
I'm off to buy a guidebook.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM

I'm so happy for your ending--the manager at PC is a super guy! (I actually know him personally.)

FYI (again) Grand Turk is not like a usual cruise ship destination. It's very sleepy and quiet, and for being so small (8 sq miles) the cruisers pretty much stay at the port. But it really is rustic and quiet, and doesn't make a good combo after being in PC. I find PC has the best service in the entire Caribbean.

PS I wrote Fodor's In Focus: Turks and Caicos. Tell me what you think and compare opinions!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

I just don't ant to SEE another cruiser till I'm 85! Think you're right, after PC it'd be jarring. I will probably stick with the WBC for the price point and location to snorkeling.

Seriously, I'm happy. I think the diving will work out fine as the reco'd dive operation is just next to the Parrot Cay ferry, unless they do PC pick ups.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 03:23 AM

8-)
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Blamona, is the WBC within walking distance of the IGA? (Not the new one)
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM

It is not walking distance. You need a car.

Personally, you should get a car anyway, taxi costs more. Plus you can explore the other gorgeous beaches, or even the other sections of Grace Bay because it changes in character.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much. I couldn't tell from the map.

I am now thinking Seven Stars because of its location to the IGA Gourmet, the price (fantastic; though I worry a bit about the recent management change), walking distance to numerous restaurants AND it's near one of the 2 PADI-sanctioned dive operations, Dive Provo. I'm thinking after Parrot Cay it'll be nice to be more in the center of things and cook a couple of meals in our room after spending a fortune at PC.
We can always rent a car for the day if we want to explore, but my husband may end up diving every day.
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 03:29 AM

there are amazing restaurants in Provo, it would be an injustice to miss some of them. Even at Seven Stars you need a car, with bad economies I wouldn't be walking anywhere in the world at night.

Provo is in clumps--meaning that no 1 resort is close to all the great restaurants, as they are scattered around. Even if you stuck to 1 area, any kind of lounge music, drinks, etc would require a car or taxi.

Of course, everyone vacations differently, but for $40 a day car rental, the freedom is priceless.

If you do decide Seven Stars, it's a lovely resort and no worries about the management change, you'd never know it happened. To book, I highly recommend www.AscentDestinations.com

The price they offer can't be beat anywhere, not even direct website. They are the company that represents both Seven Stars and West Bay Club, and usually if they offer the same discounts, will throw in other things. Totally worth using them. I used Ascent Destinations to book in Aug., and they were 1/2 the price for Seven Stars compared to anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -