Looking for smaller high-end Caribeean resort with Kid's club

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems I am looking for the impossible... I am looking for a Caribbean resort (most any island) that is not a mega sized shiney resort. Looking for high-end but with a tiki hut feel (I keep thinking back to resorts i've been to in Bora Bora or Phuket). The catch is it must have a kid's club. Oh, and not cost an absurd amount of $. Any suggestions??? Love the look of Zoetry Aqua in DR but there's no kids club there... Thanks!
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Without a dollar point of reference it's hard to know what you really mean by "not cost an absurd amount of $" especially when you are seeking a "high end resort". "High end" generally means high priced. Perhaps you really mean you want something in the 4-star range rather than 5-star???? Give us some idea of how much you are willing to spend.

That said, look at Four Seasons on Nevis - it's a high end resort with an excellent children's program. Also look at Beaches Resort on Providenciales (Turks & Caicos) it routinely gets high marks for their children's program.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Considering Four Seasons Nevis, but getting there seems to be challenging. Beaches is not our style. We're looking for something under $500 per night, as opposed to $1K per night, in May which seems to be off season.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Where are you flying from?

If from the US and you want to go to the Four Seasons on Nevis you can fly American Airlines non-stop from Miami to St. Kitts. From there you can take the 4S launch directly to the resort. The flight from MIA which departs around 11:00AM is only about 3 hours - you can be at the resort sitting on the beach by 3PM. The alternative is to fly into San Juan and take an American Eagle flight (Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays) directly into Nevis.

If that still won't work for you check out Caneel Bay (on St. John) - they have a children's program. You can fly into St. Thomas and take a ferry to St. John. Also, the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas and in San juan, PR) both have a children's program - they may be in your price range.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Yes - your initial post contradicts itself...high end resort but cheap ? That, is an oxymoron...How old are the kids ?
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

I didn't say cheap, just not an absurd amt of $. I think there's a difference. There are georgous resorts that are thousands per night... wish I could. We're looking for either a room for <$500/night or a suite for <$1K/night that we can share w/ another family. Kids are 4 and 5.

Thank you RoamsAround, while checking out Caneel Bay per your suggestion, I came across LittleDix Bay, might fit the bill... Too bad Jumby Bay is too $.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 03:59 AM

I would have suggested Little Dix Bay but you implied getting to Four Seasons on Nevis was too challenging for you. If that's how you feel then comparably speaking you may find getting to Virgin Gorda will be a much more difficult challenge.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM

I don't know whether this may be in your price range, especially if you go during low season, but may I add the new Verandah AI resort located on Turks and Caicos? While it doesn't have the tiki hut feel (more like a refined, casual Nantucket ambience), this less than one-year-old resort has a program for kids, and the adults there have loved it. Resort residents report that the food is delicious, and the grounds are beautiful as is their beach and pools. My husband and I went to check it out while we were walking along Grace Bay last month.

Verandah has a more quiet, sophisticated, and less "commercial" feel than Beaches, which was also recommnded to you. In fact, they are like night and day! It all depends on what you're willing to pay and what you're really looking for in a "high end resort with a kids' program which needs to fit your budget!"

terryr
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM

No way you can afford Little Dix Bay at $500 a night, they only allow kids in a suite or higher, you cannot have more than 3 people in those bottom rooms (even if they sleep in bed with you) cheapest rooms with your kids there go for $2300 a night!

Prices in Caribbean are more on par with Bora Bora.

If you want Phuket prices, you'll have to stick to DR, Mexico, Costa Rica. and you still won't get "high-end" as you would in Phucket.

Mexico might be the most "affordable" and give you that tiki hut look. Best in Playa Del Carmen area.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 03:08 AM

Well, it is not "high-end" but it does have a Tiki Hut feel -- take a look at Mahekal (formerly Shangri-La Caribe) in Playa Del Carmen. There usually are quite a few kids but I am not sure about a kids club, yes, your task is challenging. One thing we found out about kids clubs when our kids were younger -- in off-season, even at larger resorts (in this instance the Aruba Marriott which is huge) sometimes there weren't any other kids at the club so our son, who usually loved those type of clubs, didn't want to stay. Could be even more of an issue at a smaller resort but if you are going with another family might not be an issue. Not Tiki Hut but perhaps possibilities -- Half Moon on Jamaica (villas you could rent together) Casa De Campo or Tortuga Bay in DR (also villas).
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Have you looked at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana?
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! No Mexico. Here's what I am considering. Any comments in regards to beach, luxury and kid's club would be appreciated.

Regent - Turks
Landings Rock Resorts - St. Lucia
Cotton Bay - St. Lucia
Little Dix Bay - Virgin Gorda
Round Hill - Jamacia
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Four Seasons - Nevis

The Cototn Bay and Round Hill beachs don't look so great...
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 02:16 AM

Regent Palms on TCI is really beautiful, great staff and you can walk to many restaurants...do not know about Kids club but--the suites are to die for and VERY clean !!
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Little Dix Bay attracts a lot of families but it's probably more difficult to get to than some other places. For the best beach it is TCI hands down! Lots of families love FS Nevis (I have visited there twice but did not stay there, I was kind of underwhelmed by it, the beach is just okay). I guess if it was me I would go with TCI or Little Dix. In Jamaica I would choose Half Moon over Round Hill, better overall for kids but perhaps you think that it's too big.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Any marriott vacation club- Aruba sounds like a good fit.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM

which Regent on Turks are you referring to? Caribzack can offer more info on this, but I believe there are two regents in T&C, Regent Palms and Regent Grand. Regent Palms is amazing. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with our daughter and it was just amazing. Definitely 5 star.You can click on my screen name and look for my trip report if you'd like. we went 2 years ago. Regent Palms also has a small kids club- nothing major, but depending on your kids' ages, they might like it. My almost 4 yo really enjoyed it.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM

I assume Regent Palms--the full service resort...Regent Grand is a self catering property . ( No restaurant , limited services)