Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Looking for "new" island to visit in June - suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/looking-for-new-island-to-visit-in-june-suggestions-882601/)

waggie1218 Mar 18th, 2011 05:30 PM

Looking for "new" island to visit in June - suggestions?

My husband and I (55 and 51) are looking for a new island to visit this June. We've previously been to Grand Cayman (twice), Virgin Gorda, Tortola, Aruba, Curacao, and St. John. Our favorites were Grand Cayman and St. John,, although we really enjoyed the BVI, too.

We'd like to stay in a villa since we enjoyed our experience in one when we stayed on St. John. We'd like to keep the weekly cost at no more than $2,000 since we'll spend most of our time exploring the island and beaches and eating out in restaurants instead of cooking at the villa. Our "musts" are a villa with a view of the Caribbean, A/C at least in the bedroom, and our own private pool. We're looking for an island with decent snorkeling, good restaurants, and plenty of beaches/places to explore. We want to stay on an island with a relatively low crime rate so that we are able to come and go without any worries.

Basically, we want another island very similar to St. John. We'd go there again but would like to try somewhere we haven't yet been.

Any suggestions?

TPAYT Mar 18th, 2011 07:20 PM

After 20+ islands, our new favorite is Grace Bay, Turks &
Caicos. I guess you can't compare it to St. John (which we also love) or the BVI's because it's more arid, but what a stunning beach.

We love so many of the islands for so many differnt reasons. So here's why we have been going back to TCI for 3 yrs.

Easy to get there. Chicago-Charlotte-Provo, with lots of flights.
Fantastic properties on a gorgeous white sand beach with the clearest, turquoise water.
Some of the best restaurants we've been to in the Caribbean.
Very good golf course closeby for MDH to golf in the morning while I read on the beach.

Now the drawbacks, IMO.
Very quiet. If you want to party, this isn't the place.
Snorkeling, so-so. We hear it's OK in front of Coral Gardens and out on a boat trip, but if you're looking for the BVI kind of snorkeling, this isn't the place.
Shopping not so good, maybe for trinkets, etc. is OK.

Some other favorites are Anguilla and St. Bart's, but both are hard to get to. Doesn't mean we won't return as we loved both of them. Anquilla is arid, gorgeous beaches, excellent restaurants. St.Bart's is probably the most like St. John with hills, etc.---but it is extremely expensive. Think of St. John prices and double them.

Again IMO, all of the above mentioned are safe. We have never felt threatened.

Check www.vrbo.com and www.homeaway.com for some good deals. We have used both services with great success.

On Anguilla we love www.sbvillas.ai
It's an older property, but our room was right on the beach, and I mean right on one of the most stunning beaches we have been to. Snorkeling was OK. After Grand Cayman and the US and BVI's, sometimes snorkeling is just "swimming with fins".

Good luck, and I hope I've helped a bit.

qwovadis Mar 19th, 2011 04:27 AM

St. Martin/Marteen combo Dutch/French Island nice beach flat.

Provo has a few hills is nice around Grace bay

Your budget of $1K per person for 1 week is quite tight

you will have difficulty finding lodging

with private pool for that.

www.luxurylink.com offers great values for me though

www.puntacana.com La Romana area nice lots more variety

at very good prices.

Happy Hunting,

ishkribbl Mar 19th, 2011 05:42 AM

Have you considered the "Spanish Virgin Islands" of Culebra or Vieques? The pool might be hard to find on Culebra but we liked it and also loved St. John and Virgin Gorda- it is a little more arid than SJ but otherwise similar in topography (it is only about 20 or so miles away)- good snorkeling, good food, very friendly and safe, more laid back or low key than SJ in my opinion- prices for accommodations and food were a lot lower than SJ.
We have not been to Vieques yet but have read a lot about it. Others could advise you.

ishkribbl Mar 19th, 2011 05:44 AM

PS This is a helpful website to investigate Culebra:

www.islaculebra.com

virginia Mar 19th, 2011 07:50 AM

barbados has lots of villas directly on the beach. most come with full staff so when you head out in daytime your house is not deserted. they would love to cook dinner for you on the nights you choose to stay in & will prepare anything you ask for. look at houses on paynes, gibbs or mullins beaches. tons of restaurants, lots to see/do, many nice beaches to explore. agree with qwovadis your budget is a bit low for house with pool but you might find something as june if low season.
maya riviera might work for you to. locogringo.com & bill-in-tulsa.com list lots of villas. loco has info on everything to know about the area. houses should be cheaper there than most islands.

waggie1218 Mar 23rd, 2011 01:29 PM

I meant to say $2,000 for a villa with pool for the week. That's not including anything else - just lodging. I have seen some villas with pools for around $2K, so I know they can be had, depending upon which island, of course.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Still looking!