Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Looking for laid back Island for January vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/looking-for-laid-back-island-for-january-vacation-818959/)

sarandipity123 Dec 26th, 2009 06:56 PM

Looking for laid back Island for January vacation

My boyfriend and I are looking to take a two week trip to a tropical place. We'd like to do some diving, possibly some hiking, and shoot some photos. I looked into Belize, it seems like epic diving but touristy and very expensive. I'm looking for a slow paced gorgeous island, that is not expensive. Considering Bonaire...any other ideas? Thank you!

TPAYT Dec 26th, 2009 07:54 PM

IMO, the Caribbean is expensive. We've been to almost every island and all I can suggest is that if you want the Caribbean in Jan. you head south. The northern islands can be cool at that time---not always, but mostly.

If you want less expensive, head to Mexico.

StanKase Dec 27th, 2009 06:45 AM

I am not sure what you consider expensive but the Hamanast resort in Belize is a lovely place to spend 5-7 days. They have nice accomodations, a good diving director Richard and good food considdering the remteness of the place. Since they o are on the mainland they take you on hikes where you can take many nice photos.After May 1st the rate for 2 for 7 nights including 3 meals and taxes is about $4000 including 2 dive outings a day or going on a trip 1 day and dive the next and alternate.They fly you from Belize City, only 15 minutes as part of the package. Then if you wanted an island just for diving out a bit so you would go to different partys of the Barrier Reef there is the Turneffe Island Lodge. It is also an all inclusive but is not as expensive for a week. You would have in 2 weeks some of the best diving, good food, relaxation, nice but not luxury rooms but with A.C in North America if your budget can swing for the 2 resorts.

mamamia66 Dec 28th, 2009 04:06 AM

I would look at Akumal Mexico. Great snorkeling right from shore! Fairly inexpensive. Don't know what the weather in Jan is like though.

JeanH Dec 28th, 2009 06:11 AM

I've frequently seen it said that Belize is the cheapest place in the Caribbean, and the most expensive in Central America.

There are even reasonably cheap airfares to Belize right now, generally it's an expensive place to fly to. Although, the flights are short and easy from the gateway cities, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Dallas and Houston.

If you don't mind simple, you can stay on the beach on Ambergris for under US$50.00 a day. If you eat at local places, you can also eat very cheaply.

Ambergris Caye is touristy, only when compared to the rest of Belize. By any other standard, it's pretty laid back. Still very much a real town, although it is tourist driven.

cher4 Dec 29th, 2009 09:18 PM

I've been to Belize many times and Roatan once. I'm a snorkeler and both places offer that in abundance. In Belize you have to take a boat to the reef, unless you are staying on a reef, which is cheap and not crowded. On West Bay, in Roatan, there is fantastic snorkeling and diving from the beach. Roatan offers some amazing dive packages. I prefer Belize as there is so much to see and do and the locals are friendly and all speak English. Roatan has a 2-price system: theirs and ours. Ours is triple. Akumal is boring compared to Belize or Roatan. Have fun wherever you end up!