Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Looking for island / hotel suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/looking-for-island-hotel-suggestions-541366/)

skinnyboy Jul 3rd, 2005 04:02 PM

Looking for island / hotel suggestions

We're a mid-20s couple visiting the Caribbean in late August. We're looking for an island with beautiful beaches and some sort of nightlife, preferably some sightseeing places, too. We don't need a diving hot-spot.

For lodging, we'd like a clean room at a place on the beach, preferably one with at least 1 pool and restaurant on site.

We're on a budget - trying to spend 6 or 7 nights for a grand total (air, hotel, food, etc) of no more than $3,000 (flying out of Detroit.)

We looked at a few places - St. Lucia, St. John, St. Croix, Barbados, St. Kitts - but would love to hear the experienced Caribbean traveler's suggestions on these and other islands (She's been to Aruba, so that's out for this time.) And if anyone knows of a fantastic resort with an inexpensive all-inclusive package, I'd love to hear about it.

jacketwatch Jul 3rd, 2005 05:13 PM

Try looking into AI's at the apple vacations web site. I think they do fly out of Detroit. Also consider the DR, or, if you like nightlife look into Cancun and/or the Mayan Riviera. Lots of choices there and plenty to do as well if you choose so. I think you will find several choices to met your needs.

virginia Jul 3rd, 2005 05:34 PM

topping maya riviera. gorgeous beaches. lots of ai's. snorkel, scuba, marine park. ruins. horseback or atv tours in jungle or beach. taxi up to cancun to party if you want, but the alot of the resorts have some nightlife. mexico has a fairly good record on hurricanes, too.
beyond that you are traveling when it will be hot everywhere so no need to go to far south. also the further south the longer the flights - you'd burn 2 full days traveling

ktebe Jul 3rd, 2005 11:35 PM

Skinny, take a look at Turks and Caicos. We loved it there. And a bonus, the place we stayed, the Royal West Indies, just sent me an email announcing every fifth and tenth night free. Stay in the ocean front. For a better description check out my post under the T&C thread (too long to rewrite). But beware that part of the Carib. in August. It's hurricane season and things could get dicey.
That warning also applies to the USVI's
Sl is cool, lots to do around Soufiere, but I don't know if you can manage it on your budget. Maybe the Jalouise has good rates and SL is out of the hurricane zone.

mingxa Jul 6th, 2005 05:33 PM

I second the Mayan Riviera! Or Cozumel, just a hop over or part of an all inclusive plan.

Tuxedocat Jul 6th, 2005 08:01 PM

Barbados has been offering lots of great deals over the past year or two. If snorkeling/diving is not high on your list, Barbados may be a great choice.

happymz Jul 6th, 2005 08:27 PM

If you more closely consider St. Kitts or Nevis, I would steer you toward the Oualie Beach Hotel on Nevis. Laid-back property on one of the nicest beaches on the island, great restaurant onsite (but no pool - though you don't need it - even though I didn't believe that before I saw it myself - the water is so shallow and clear for 75-100 yards out). Lots to see & explore on Nevis and nearby (45-min ferry) St. Kitts...including old plantations, ruins, jungle, restored fort, etc. Not loads of nightlife but enough for my boyfriend and I - we enjoyed the beach bars in our flip-flops nearly every night!

We're just a few years older than you - and next on our list from what I've read are the Mayan Riviera and Turks & Caicos. But we would definitely go back to Nevis!