Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Looking for Island Advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/looking-for-island-advise-86256/)

Mark Sep 13th, 2000 05:17 AM

Looking for Island Advise

I am looking for a place to take my wife for her birthday. What I would like to find is somewhere it is: clean, safe, great beaches to explore and a relaxed atmosphere. I am not looking for a lot of nightlife because this trip is for total relaxation. Any suggestions?

Diane Sep 13th, 2000 05:28 AM

Mark: The first place that pops into my head is Turks & Caicos. We spent our honeymoon seven years ago at the Ocean Club and loved it. I'm sure it's changed some since then, but it was quiet (which is what we are always looking for) with beautiful beaches and friendly people. I've also heard Anquilla is something special but so far haven't made it there! Good luck...what a great birthday gift!!

gail Sep 13th, 2000 06:05 AM

Mark, Breezes on Cable Beach in Nassau is precisely the resort you are looking for. It has all the requirements you called out. I would love to tell you all about Breezes, but my information is quite long and I don't think this site would want me to take up so much space. Just e-mail me directly and I will answer you (I would have e-mailed your address but I was afraid you were trying to make the trip a surprise for your wife) Breezes is really great!! You've got to try it. My hubby and I intend to go back again and again.

peyton Sep 13th, 2000 06:27 AM

St. John--Very safe, good restaurants, non-commercialized, more beaches than you will have time to explore, great sailing excurions available, snorkeling. There are 2 resorts on the island-Caneel Bay and the Westin but there are so many rental homes available- do a web search just to see the wide variety (from basic to luxury). We visited last March and had a great time. Most relaxing vacation we have ever had.

Kim Sep 13th, 2000 06:21 PM

Try Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort & Spa. It is a beautiful resort and the food is great. You also have a private island you can go to and enjoy the seculsion of just you two. We loved it and plan on going back. My daughter is getting married their on May 5,2001.

Kim Sep 13th, 2000 06:24 PM

Also alot of outside excursion, like swimming with the dolphins, visiting Atlantis (A MUST), dinner cruise just overall a great place.

dmotl Sep 13th, 2000 06:30 PM

Our vacation parameters are the same as yours. After years of exploring we have settled down in Isla mujeres -- a small island in the Carrribean about 10 miles from Cancun. We now spend one month a year there. We have a 16 page home grown brouchure on the island and surrounds that we can e-mail you if you request. <BR>

Mark Sep 13th, 2000 07:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I am also looking at St. John and Virgin Gorda. Any recommendations at these spots?

jbrooks Sep 14th, 2000 06:06 AM

I think you've picked the best two islands of the bunch for what you are looking for, but turks and caicos and isla mujeres are also very nice! What range of accomodations are you looking for on st. john and virgin Gorda? All the hotels are relatively small in these islands so they all have an intimate feel to them. But, the price differences can be astronomical depending on if you want an all inclusive experience or if you are more adventurous and want to try different restauarant, etc. We used to do the all-inclusive but found we have a lot more fun staying at places like guavaberry springs bay (near the baths on VG, they are like little tree houses on stilts!) or the Ole Works Inn on Tortola. We have more fun, not to mention saving money, in these casual atmospheres! But, if you want to spend the money, you can't go wrong with Guana Island, Little Dix Bay, Bitter End yacht Club, etc. <BR> <BR>Another option I would recommend if you really like the water, charter a crewed yacht for a few days to experience one of the most popular ways to visit the virgin islands...we did this our first time and loved it...the food was great and the crew was fun! This is much more affordable than what you think...definitely check into it if you have ever wanted to try the "sailing life"!

Diane Sep 14th, 2000 09:46 AM

Mark: Went to St. John two years ago and loved it. Stayed at Cruz Views which is a cluster of privately owned small condos with pool. Nothing fancy but great for the two of us and very reasonable. Rented through Caribbean Villas and Resorts located right on the island of St. John. (Believe they have their own website) The island is tops for beaches, and we had no problems with safety. VERY relaxing. You didn't say when you would be going but Cruz Views fills up fast for in-season. We went in September and had only one other couple there! (There are ten units) Good luck!

Ian Sep 14th, 2000 12:02 PM

Me and my wife really enjoyed Grand Cayman. It was relaxing, with great beaches, water, and restaurants. The only thing that we missed was the night life and scenery, but for a short relaxing trip it was perfect. We stayed at the Westin after I read up on it on the board.

Sara Sep 17th, 2000 12:06 PM

My husband and I are going to the Sand- <BR>castle on Jost Van Dyke for a week in October. We have a cottage on the beach and intend to relax and eat great meals at their gourmet restaurant. They have two man kayaks and snorkeling and a beach bar.....we are taking books and plan to totally relax. If you want to hear about it, let me know. We have been to the BVI twice (Bitter End and Prospect).Also, if this resort is at full capacity, it holds 24 people!

Catherine Sep 22nd, 2000 08:51 AM

Check out St. Barts. It is extremely beautiful, very laid-back, and very trendy. Unfortunatly, it is also very pricey. (This is where bill gates chose to buy his winter escape.) If you can swing the $$$, this is a definite thumbs up. <BR>P.S. Don't forget to brush up on your french.

Cheryl Sep 22nd, 2000 10:23 AM

I also give my vote for St. Johns. My husband and (both early 40s) vacationed there in Spring 1999 and loved it. It has exactly what you are looking for. Much of the island is part of the Virgin Island National Park and offers various easy hiking trails to beautiful spots. The island is safe and easy to get around in a day ... rent a jeep ... lots of fun exploring! The snorkeling is also wonderful. Obviously, I can't say enough good things. We stayed at Caneel Bay which was quite a splurge for us, but worth it if you can swing it. There is also a Westin - nice, but the focus there is more the pool than the beach. (They have a small man-made beach.) Caneel Bay offers several beaches. It had more of the atmosphere that we were looking for than the Westin offered. There are also several public beaches on St. John that are beautiful. Cruz Bay is a neat town ... it has some restaurants and shops. However, if you get the urge to do some heavy duty shopping, you can always take the ferry over to St. Thomas for the day. I guarantee that given what you are looking for, you will love St. John!