Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Looking for info on Travel facilities in Cuba (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/looking-for-info-on-travel-facilities-in-cuba-163984/)

Mishelle Jordan Feb 22nd, 2002 04:46 AM

Looking for info on Travel facilities in Cuba

Hi All, my friend and I ( 2SWF) are off to Cuba for 2 weeks in March/April. We are staying in Havana for 2 nights and then heading off.Has anybody trevelled this way, as most of the mails I have read seem to be in the Resorts.We would like some advice on where to go, how to do it and how to get it all in. Thansk in advance,<BR><BR>Mishelle

illegal Feb 22nd, 2002 05:51 AM

Mishelle,<BR><BR>Are you an American citizen? <BR><BR>If you are then it would be illegal for you to travel to Cuba from here.<BR><BR>And it could be very dangerous for you too boot. There are ways to do it however. But at the risk of hearing about your horrible deaths, I will remain silent on this issue.

Daniel Williams Feb 22nd, 2002 07:28 AM

Considering MIshelle already seems to have made reservations in Havana for 2 nights, let's just assume Mishelle is Canadian, Australian, British etc...and can go to Cuba legally (and unlike illegal's warning, I know many who have done so without fearing for their safety...in fact, one solo French woman traveller told me that she felt very safer in Cuba than in many other places she's visited). <BR><BR>Some Canadian friends of mine who visited Havana found Lonely Planet guide to Cuba quite helpful in making plans. Have a great time!<BR>

illegal Feb 22nd, 2002 09:54 AM

I said it was illegal for Americans to go. Maybe I should have expanded that statement to include it is illegal to go from the U.S.<BR><BR>And just because your friends went without any difficulties, you must remember AMERICANS, are disliked the world over.<BR><BR>Just ask Daniel Pearls widow and unborn child.

Daniel Williams Feb 22nd, 2002 10:43 AM

Ok you've given your answer assuming the questioner was American. (Incidentally Americans I've known who did go through legal channels were warmly received.) Now let's let everyone else answer in case she's one of the 3.7 billion other people in the world

I Feb 22nd, 2002 11:31 AM

I think the poster was just trying to be helpful is all. It is illegal for US citizens to travel from the states to Cuba. It is illegal for tickets to be sold in the States regardless of whether travel originates from here or not. It is not illegal to purchase tickets in a international place.<BR><BR>It might be dangerous for Americans, but, hey, these days it's potentially dangerous to get on a domestic flight. OR cross the street, ect...ect...ect...

anon Feb 22nd, 2002 12:13 PM

I have been to Havana. I flew from Nassau, but you can go from Cancun or Cayman as well. There are agencies that specialize in Cuba tours from these places. I went with a friend and her husband. We met up with a friend of hers who works there. We had a lot of fun and thought it was interesting. I speak Spanish, so I really enjoyed talking with people. They were so warm and friendly. We stayed at a small hotel. It was okay, but nothing special. Not as cheap as one would expect. Havana is a contradiction-gorgeous, high-rise hotels built by foreign nations contrasting with dilapidated buildings. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, but if you are going to be close by (and it is legal for you to go), then check it out.

trixi Feb 22nd, 2002 03:11 PM

So, back to the question. I just got back from a 2 week trip to Havana a few days ago and it was a fascinating city. The Bellas Artes museum is fabulous, the revolutionary museum is low-tech but an interesting if biased look at the last 40 years. Old Havana is much deserving of a walking tour, with old palaces, some decrepit, some restored, and many housing interesting art galleries. Eat at paladares, which are restaurants run by local families, and ask for recommendations at your hotel. I particularly recommend Cocina de Liliam (delicious food in a lovely garden) and La Guarida, famous locally as a setting in the film Fresa y Chocolat.Food very good too and the home is in a stunning building right out of West Side Story.Hotel Ambos Mundos is a great place to stay, nice ambience, and right in Old Havana, with a room on the 5th floor where Hemingway lived for months at a time left intact. Heard very good music at a club on Obispo street called Lluvias de Oro, and another great music venue is above the St John hotel in Vedado. Hope you have as great a time as I did. Enjoy.

Dave Feb 28th, 2002 06:39 AM

For the lowdown on whether it is illegal to travel to Cuba, go to &lt;http://travel.discovery.com/destinations/caribbean/cuba/planner/traveling.html&gt;<BR><BR>I agree with trixi. Havana and Cuba are very interesting. There are not many narural sights, but to see Communism in practice is worthwhile.<BR><BR>We went on an educational trip, thought the Cuban Art museum was terrific, as was the ballet. Otherwise the people and cars were interesting.