Reload this Page >

Looking for info on Sandals Grande St. Lucian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Stephanie

Has anyone been to the Grande St Lucian?<BR>I saw it when it was the Hyatt but never stayed there. We are leaving next week for a 6 night stay and are looking for any info you may have on rooms, service, food, etc.<BR>Thanks a lot!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Marti

Stephanie,<BR><BR>I just came back last night, I'm in the middle of writing a long trip report to post in the next few days, It was wonderful! Food and service spectacular, any room is fine, we had the lowest category and had a view of Rodney bay, the ocean and the lagoon pool. Every returning guest we talked to got upgraded (we were 1st time) Don't Miss: <BR>-The mountian bike excursion, awesome guides will tell you about the Island history/culture. <BR>-Dinner at Kimono's and Marios, which are at the other Sandals resorts. Marios is 4 star dining, very romantic. People from Chicago told us it rivals Spago. Kimonos was like a Benihana, but great fun.<BR>-Sailing either to Martinique or Soufries, Although the Martiniqe sail is expensive. <BR>-The Gros inlet street party if you're brave, you'll have fun dancing with the locals.<BR>-The Market in Castries (skip the duty free and mall shopping, not worth it!)<BR><BR>You are going to have a great time! I wish I were going again! Let me know if you have specific questions.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:45 AM
stephanie

Hi Marti<BR>Thanks so much for your quick reply. I can't believe you just came back last night! How was the Italian Restaurant at the Grande? Did you find it difficult to get reservations at the restaurants? How was the weather.<BR>My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary and we are very excited.<BR>Thanks again!<BR>SNL

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:13 AM
JoeS

Oh, yer killin' me here.<BR>A Sandals restaurant that rivals Spago.<BR>Yes, indeed, that's what Sandals is known for, its world class cuisine. <BR>Har de har, oh please stop, Heeheeheeheeheehee.<BR>Spago! Oh no. <BR>Help, I can't breathe. Oh hohohohohoho.<BR>Hahahahahahaha. <BR>Gasp!<BR>&quot;Kimono's&quot; and &quot;Mario's?&quot; <BR>What would they call a Mexican restaurant - &quot;Juan's&quot; or &quot;Chez Jose?&quot;<BR>Oh woohooo...

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Marti

I know some people on this board love to knock Sandals, but there's a niche market, that I happen to fit into, and I love it, so leave it alone Joe, and post something useful!! <BR><BR>Actually, the Spago's comment came from 2 couples from Chicago, The Italian restaurant at Grande, Toscanini's was fine, service was great, but the food at Mario's was just better. We heard this from several people, and then tried them both ourself and agreed. Mario's serves fresh breads with Olive oil, wild mushroom rissoto, lots of fresh seafood choices, cappucino, tiramisu, they actually had a wine somellier!-- just a bit more eclectic, I thought. <BR><BR>The weather was good, it rained every day, but it was over in an hour or less. Just gave you a chance to regroup or do some planning or have a drink at the bar. <BR><BR>There was no problem getting reservations at any place, but Mario's and Kimono's need at least a day's notice.<BR><BR>We were on our 10 year anniversary, lots of honeymooners there right now, the place was not very crowded, probably around 50-75%, but we met a lot of people, and not a single person was complaining about accomdations, or meals or anything, they mostly seemed happy, and many were returning to Sandals for the 3rd or 4th time.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:23 AM
deni

Absolutely Loved it! We have been traveling to the caribbean 2x a year for 20 years at all types of resorts, cruises etc. We know what to expect of Island Life. The Grande was only opened for 3 weeks when we went, so we expected some bug-a-boos...But there was only 1. The bedspreads for the king beds weren't in yet and they put the double size back on...BIG DEAL. The resort was gorgeous, we got a double upgrade to face the pool and the Caribbean Ocean. Excellent Service, great food, ate twice in the Italian. We met a lot of people from the other two Sandal resorts that switched because they liked this one better. I would definetly go back again. I have learned not to sweat the small stuff...after all you are in the caribbean, CHILL OUT...if they don't have cherries for your drink, big deal...you'll live. Sometimes I think some peoples negativity comes from expecting too much. St. Lucia is known for it's lush forests and mountain greenery, which does bring insects. Although,I never had to use my bug spray and we went hiking twice. If you like that sorta thing, go up Pigeon Island..but go all the way to the very top...You will think you were in heaven after looking at the view.. St.Lucia is not know for great Beaches or snorkling/diving. If your looking for soft pure white big beaches try Sandals Negril or Montego Bay. I give 5 stars rating, no problems when I went. The water instructors were also great as well as all the staff, they even let us pour drinks behind the beach bar for customers...we had a ball!! The giant hot tub fits about 50 people, and the swim up pool bar has a cooling mist blowing which is very exotic. There are about 6 pool areas so you can be in the middle of the action or quiet and serene. I found it a very romantic resort...Good Luck, I hope your experience is a pleasant as mine, and if you have a problem don't be afraid to tell someone...you will get the service that Sandals is noted for.