Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Looking for Ex-Pat and Blog sites (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/looking-for-ex-pat-and-blog-sites-732601/)

camelbak Aug 28th, 2007 06:42 PM

Looking for Ex-Pat and Blog sites

Good evening!

I usually post in the Lounge and Europe board, but as things (work wise) seem to be developing at a lightning pace I am starting to scour the internet for info on the Caymans.

I am currently getting reference checked for a job down in the Caymans, and more likely than not I will receive an offer of employment in September. Been thinking about a major life change for a few years now, and the DH and I have finally decided to make the plunge (he is looking for work down there right now).

Question - I check out the Cayman threads here often - and have checked out the local newspapers, etc., etc. But does anyone know any any good blogs on the internet about life in the Caymans? I have the sites on rentals, checked out car purchase, immigration, etc, and also checked out CaymanTom's site, but wondering if anyone knows of a secret site out there that I might not have seen yet?

Glad to see that Hurricane Dean only brushed past you guys, and that the condo that I have my eye on fared well through the storm!

Thanks everyone for any tips!

Autoeng Aug 29th, 2007 05:52 AM

Try www.travelpod.com. Hope this doesn't upset anyone with the link to another travel website.

camelbak Aug 29th, 2007 06:08 AM

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Any more out there?

TomCayman Aug 29th, 2007 06:40 AM

Nope, no secret sites about Cayman, or I'd know about them.

Tough to really explain about life in Cayman for an expat, but you are from Canada, I've got to guess you know some other Canadians down here (there are literally thousands of them in professional jobs).

Try the Facebook network for Cayman, and for Blogs, Mad Bull (a Jamaican in Cayman) is a consistent blog poster with a Caribbean perspective.

There is also the Marl Road forums, but beware, it is one of those places where the sky seems to be continually falling... I think their glass is pretty much empty, let alone half full !

Bloom Aug 29th, 2007 02:16 PM

caymanactivityguide dot com has some info about relocating to Cayman.

Bloom

TomCayman Aug 29th, 2007 06:45 PM

Watch out for Cayman Activity Guide though, it is, shall we say... skewed towards their advertisers... not really in the spirit of internet forums.

I used to advertise with them, but they and their internet forum posters plugged my resort so hard that I thought it was impacting our credibility, so I pulled the ads !

ReefRat Aug 30th, 2007 03:43 AM

On the Cayman Activity Guide your posting privileges will be suspended if you make to many comments about non advertisers as happened to me. Don't say anything about Driftwood, The Reef or the Bare Foot Man, etc.

John

camelbak Aug 30th, 2007 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I do have two close friends that are down there - really extended family - and they have been invaluable in providing information. One has been down there for about 11 years now, and the other just returned after a year and a half.

They have been full of information - and I know they will be a great support when I go down. Just wanted to see if there was anyone who had a sort of "day in the life of relocating" sort of blog out there for Cayman. Maybe I will be the first!!!

I have checked out Mad Bull's sight too - though not the Cayman Activity Guide...definitely will take that one with a grain of salt.

Thanks!!

CaymanSue Aug 30th, 2007 03:54 PM

I agree about CAG. But might google docjelly.

CaymanSue Sep 6th, 2007 09:09 AM

I just ran across this site. Check it out.

http://www.caymannewresident.com/page_id_15.html

camelbak Sep 6th, 2007 09:21 AM

Wanted to say thanks for the tip about the Cayman Activity Guide. I really like their Forum!

I've checked out the Cayman New Resident site - great info on getting a driver's license, etc. and will be sure to explore Page 15 - thanks CaymanSue.

Still waiting to hear back from the company that I interviewed with. They did reference checks last Friday and this last Tuesday...eek!

I am getting excited!!!!

camelbak Sep 6th, 2007 09:22 AM

Just another note...

it's going to be strange not to grocery shop and do errands on Sundays! SUCH a life style change - what an adventure!

camelbak Sep 7th, 2007 03:30 PM

I'm sure noone's checking - but I am about to burst so I just wanted to post quickly....

I got word from the Caymans today that I should expect to receive an offer for employment on Monday! EIYA!!!!! I am freaking out and SOOO excited about moving down there!

Sigh....can't wait!

CaymanSue Sep 14th, 2007 02:46 PM

camelbak,
I'm checking and so happy that you have gotten the chance to experience GC! But also noticed that you posted on CAG and included some links to other sites. Expect to be "spanked" soon.
Sue

camelbak Sep 15th, 2007 08:08 AM

Uh oh...really CaymanSue?

Well, I will take the lumps if they come my way. :)

I received my offer on Thursday and will be accepting on Monday - I can't believe it! Listening to Cayman Radio right now - interesting mix!

It all seems fairly surreal. All the years, all the research and now it's finally happening!

Anything you can recommend for a first timer to Cayman?