Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,
My husband and I are looking to book another Caribbean trip in mid May. 6-8 nights, approx $5,000 budget, adults only in attendance.

So far the two of us have been to Aruba (Bucuti Resort on Eagle Beach for Honeymoon) and Barbados (The House Resort.) I have also been to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. We like to try to combine romance, sight seeing, good food (local & high end), deep sea fishing, as well as attain as much of the culture as possible. We have been told we are unique guests at the two resorts listed above by the staff due to our willingness to rent a car and explore the entire island ourselves and go everywhere the locals go. For example, in Barbados we brought our fish that we caught back and held a beach party for the staff members that had that evening off.
With that being said, we want to find a resort that is nice and clean, we have no children so we would like a quiet location as well. Having a nice beach on site is a must, although it doesn't have to be as pristine as Aruba. We definitely want to fish and have read that Dominican Republic has excellent sport fishing in MAY. However, I am nervous about DM from the reviews I've read. I understand that DM isn't the type of area to self discover on your own as well, which would be okay if the resort and fishing is nice.

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions and education.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More information: We would be flying out of Dallas, Texas most likely. Also, an all-inclusive is not necessary as I've only experienced them in Mexico. The $5,000 budget would be for air/hotel for 2 adults and is slightly flexible up to $6,000. An adults only resort would be ideal but would be okay with a resort that is small to moderately sized with not a high traffic of children. We love kids but are just looking for a quiet, relaxed atmosphere.
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 01:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this. I also think West coast in Barbados could have been a nice addition. Believe me you will love this place (and its people).
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 03:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roatan Honduras
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 05:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not the Caribbean, but Pacific Coast of Costa Rica has some of the best deep sea fishing anywhere.
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your comments. Do you have any favorite resorts to stay in these countries?
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 09:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<I understand that DM isn't the type of area to self discover on your own as well>

That's not true. You can rent a car and explore that island, same as any other one.

Just because many people choose to go the All-Inclusive (Punta Cana type) route and never leave resort property, doesn't mean that's the only option in the DR.