Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

looking for caribbean vacation in late feb with windsurfing, snorkeling and other activites, any ideas

looking for caribbean vacation in late feb with windsurfing, snorkeling and other activites, any ideas

Jan 16th, 2001, 12:57 PM
meghan dolan

couple(30s) looking for vacation, late february. need some ideas on places with good windsurfing and other sporty activities. any good suggestions

Jan 16th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Sue

Aruba, Aruba, Aruba!

Jan 16th, 2001, 01:47 PM
George

Sue is absolutely correct. Just be careful that you don't find yourself in Cuba while windsurfing. The wind in Aruba is sometimes relentless.

Jan 17th, 2001, 02:16 AM
eli fuller

Antigua is pretty good. I got to be NP's oly sponsored rider for the caribbean sailing here. Not as windy as Aruba, but not as flat and boring either. sailed there in five competitions and its windy but adter a few runs up and down you have done it all.
Antigua has more to do than aruba as well.
eli

Jan 20th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Eddy

I disagree with fuller,

If you limit yourself to the resort area than you will never note that the island is not flat all. The highest hill in Aruba is 617 feet and if you drive to the country side you will note that Aruba is hilly heading towards San Nicolas. I really think incorrect information is being spread around that Aruba is flat and dessert. In a dessert it does not rain and it does not have any trees, Aruba is arid and receives 14 to 16 inches of rain fall a year. Hills do not have to be over 1000 feet to be called a hill..I can mention many hills in Aruba and I can bring you to the national park which covers one third of the island and I am sure you will have a different opinion.

I have been to Antigua twice and I must say Antigua is much greener indeed hillier and it has a richer history. Nevertheless Aruba has much more activities to do for any age range..and the winds on the island are a blessing..and the island has an annual windsurfing competition.