Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

looking for best place to book stingray city/snorkel tour

Apr 9th, 2002, 11:19 AM
laura

I am looking to make arrangements for my stingray city/snorkel trip. I think I would like to do a 1/2 day trip. Any suggestions on who to book with, I do not want to be on an overly crowded boat.(Staying at the Marriott and will have a car).

Apr 9th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Randy

Laura-
we booked and traveled last week with Franks's Watersports. We were very pleased. They have a number of smaller boats and leave from the Yacht Club which is about half way up 7MB on the east side of the peninsula. We did not want a huge boat either. (You spend more time getting folks on and off the craft than you do in snorkeling!) We paid $22.50 US per person (with coupon) and there were just 11 of us on the boat last Wednesday. George and Hot Shot (the boat's captain) were great guides and gave us a better tour than the large boats do. The boats aren't yachts, but they are perfect for this trip.

We dove for conch, did the coral reef and spent lots of time with the Stingrays. On the way back to the Yacht Club, we ate marinated conch on crackers and enjoyed sodas. A great day! Also, we were on the boat for about 4 1/2 hours, a bit more than was advertised.

Apr 9th, 2002, 03:02 PM
anon

I'm surprised you dove for conch, I thought that wasn't allowed.

Apr 9th, 2002, 03:47 PM
juli

Laura:

I used Bob Soto's and they where great. The boats where not luxurious but you arent on them that much. It was $30USD and well worth it. We got to see an Eel and a nurse shark which was very exciting. The guide came in the water with us and got them out of the cave they where hiding in.
The crew was very knowledgable and had a great sense of humor. We even had a videographer who took video that you could later purchase. All in all it was a great day and there was about 10 people on our boat. They also provise transportation to and from your hotel at no charge.
JK

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Jeff

We really enjoyed Captain Dexter's Fantasea Tours (http://www.dexters-fantaseatours.com/). 16 people max, on a catamaran. Snorkel only, Stingray city sandbar and barrier reef.

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Skibum

I second Dexter and Fantasea. His boat's not the newest, but he's a great guy, a Cayman native, and when we went in late January there were only six of us on his morning cruise. He goes in the water with you, has you hold a stingray if you want to (we did!) and is very conscious and considerate of the ray's and their environment. On the way back, he offers you punch (spiked or plain) and a fruit plate. Highly recommend.

Apr 11th, 2002, 03:45 PM
jodi

We've done Captain Marvin's 4 times and have never been disappointed. Reasonably priced and not to overcrowded. They make sure you do Stingray City after the big crowded boats are done. That really makes a difference. Some of the local guide books have coupons.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Maria

Captain Marvin's, Captain Marvin's, Captain Marvin's! The most unbelievable side trip we have taken - even our three year old loved it (mentioned in a previous post). Captain Marvin has, I think, something like 15+ children, most of whom live on the island. His helper would dive into the waters and bring us back lobsters and lobsters, which he then cut up right in front of us, cooked it, poured melted butter over it, and we ate it on picnic tables when we took our lunch break. We also dived for Conch and the guy who helped Marvin cut the Conch for us, marinated it in lime juice and we had sushi! We got to keep our conch and ours is proudly displayed in our master bedroom bathroom - great memories. Capt. Marvin's boat is clean, he is such a nice and gentle man, not like a Club Med kind of guy who tries to get all the boaters together and mix. We all mixed on our own and made some nice friendships. You can't go wrong with Captain Marvin. I got the recommendation for his boat tour on the Forum - thank you Fodor's!

Maria