Looking for a safe and quiet beach in Jamaica

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Dee

Looking for a safe and quiet beach in Jamaica

We will be arriving in Ocho Rios for a day and have already done the Dunn's River thing on our last trip. We would like to do something different this time but none of the excursions offered by Royal Caribbean really interest us. We enjoy just hanging out on the beach and thought that this might be one of our less expensive ports but don't know of any beaches in the area. We have been advised by 2 travel agents not to wander off in Jamaica for safety reasons.

I know that we could just stay on the ship but my spirit of adventure just can't tolerate that idea. Can anyone recommend something for us to do? The Martha Brae thing sounds like a yawn from the description in the tour book. Am I reading it wrong? It sounds like a gondola ride.

We read about a tubing trip but from what I've read since it is not safe. One lady said that several people in their party were injured and they were lucky not to have drowned. So...unless someone has a suggestion for something lively but not dangerous, I guess it's the beach for us.

Is there a beach where we could go and not be hassled the entire time? We are traveling with several teenagers and would like to choose a place that they will not be offered drugs.

I realize that I sound pretty negative but the last time we were in Jamaica we were hounded pretty mercilessly.

We are leaving on Monday so a quick response would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dee

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 10:31 PM
JanGail

Have you considered getting a daypass
to one of the Sandals resorts? I don't
know the current cost of a day pass but
do know that it would cover meals,
drinks, use of the beach, beach chairs,
shade huts, activities, etc. When we
went to Jamaica in 1998, we spent the
day at Hedonism for $50 pp but it was
worth every penny! All of the meals and
snacks, drinks, beach chairs, shade
huts, activities were paid for- for the
entire day! Of course, the people
watching was part of the fun! I know
the price seems steep, but for the all-
inclusive feature for a whole day plus
the security of being in a safe
environment makes it worthwhile. I can't
recall if the new Hedonism III is
located in or near Ocho Rios, but it is
worth checking out as well.

Hope this helps.
JanGail

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 05:55 AM
ellen

sorry but if you want safe and secluded (mutually exclusive terms in Jamaica, unfortunately...) do what the smart Jamaicans do--go to the Cayman Islands!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Dee

JanGail,

That is a fabulous idea! A lot of the excursions are very close to $50 a person and are only a couple hours long. I will certainly check on that idea. My only concern is that we are traveling with kids. Is Sandals "couples only"?

Thanks for your help!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Lisa

Hi Dee,
You'll be docking ship directly in front of The Grande Renaissance resort.
BETTER then any of the others in Ocho Rios, including Sandals. Just got back from a 2 week vacation at The Grande.
Beautiful resort w/ tons of activities if your gonna 'beach ' for the day !
Water bikes, kayaking, boat out to the coral reef to snorkel etc.... all included ! Awesome food also
DO NOT go to Hedonism ....
when we were there last week, some people had gone over to check it out & it was a free for all. Nudity was basically mandatory !
E-mail me personally if you need to know anything more about the Grande. not sure I'll be checking this site that much this weekend. Busy working ... when I sign on, I read e-mail & log off ! Good luck & feel free to E-mail. I also have a website up of our vacation. It has pics on it of where you'll dock for the day etc.. I took them from my hotel balcony of the cruise ship port and so on ! Let me know if your interested !!
Lisa