Search

Ferry to Nevis

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry to Nevis

We are two days away from our third trip to Nevis. This time we are flying into St. Kitts and ferrying over to Nevis. Montpelier offered a semi-private transfers on a water taxi for $75. My first thought is, whoa, that's expensive and we'll just take the public ferry. My question is this: am I right?

Second question: is the Double Deuce reopened?

Thanks, DavefromCA
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Regular passenger ferry between St. Kitts and Nevis takes 45 to 50 minutes plus the waiting time at the terminal until the next scheduled ferry leaves. The ferry costs about $10US per person each way. You'll also have to factor in taxi fare from airport to ferry dock (about $12US) and from ferry dock in Charlestown to Montpelier (about $13US) - Making the total ONE-WAY cost for 2 people - $45US (plus gratuities for the taxi drivers).

A private water taxi normally costs between $85US and $100 each way (depending on size of boat) for up to 4 people or $20US per person if there are 5 or more in your party PLUS $30US for the taxi from the airport to Reggae Beach where you pick up the water taxi and another $25US for the taxi from Oualie Beach (where the water taxi drops you off) to Montpelier - Making the total ONE-WAY cost for 2 people between $140US and $155US. FYI - the water taxi ride itself takes about 8 to 10 minutes plus about 25 minutes for the taxi ride from the airport to the water taxi dock. The big advantage is the water taxi leaves when you get there

Conclusion: $75 for a semi private water taxi is a good deal, assuming it's for two people and includes the taxi transfers (which I'm pretty sure it does). Do the math and decide what works best for your budget.

Double Deuce reopened in its new location this past weekend.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

I think we'll do the public ferry option. It's $75 per person. Yikes.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling RoamsAround with have the answer!
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
cw

Does the $75 p/p include taxi fares? It does seem high compared to the published rates of the water taxi at Oualie so it probably does.

We did the water taxi option last March, and I can't remember what we paid but it wasn't as high as you were quoted. It was all arranged by the hotel and charged to the hotel room. We only tipped the drivers. The transfer was seamless--driver at the airport, boat waiting, and driver on the dock when we arrived. On the return, we could stay a bit later, and were confident we would not have problems returning to SKB. It was a great way to start (and end) the trip.

It is more expensive but it was worth it to me. We didn't have to lug bags around nor worry about the complications of a flight delay, and after a long traveling day, we didn't have to wait an hour or two at the ferry dock. But I totally understand wanting to save money where you can. Enjoy your stay.

Oh--and do check the ferry schedule on your return. We've had occasional delays when the schedule changes an hour or so.