Looking for a good resort for a Group of friends

Dec 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Looking for a good resort for a Group of friends

Hello all.

My girlfriend and I have been researching some resorts for our 3rd trip down south to the Caribbean. We have been twice now, to Cuba and DR, and usually have travelled alone
This year, we are bringing 2 of my single friends.
We are somewhat picky, and don't want to go back to Cuba or DR, want to try something new.

We have been looking at St Lucia and Antigua, and possibly Jamaica.

Here is what we want the resort to have and maybe you guys might have some suggestions for us :
- Nice beach and water
- Swim-up bar is a must
- On-site bars that are open until at least 1am and preferably once that are outdoors (don't want to be forced to be in the disco every night)
- Good Food/restaurant options
- A resort that offers some excursions - snorkelling, sight seeing etc.
- a resort that isn't flooded with families and little kids

We are currently looking at:

Coconut Bay Resort and Spa - st lucia
Smugglers cove Resort - St lucia

Coconut bay seems pretty good, but the beach looks kind of crappy and have read many reviews stating its not great for swimming

With so many options in Jamaica, we don't even know where to start.

Any help/suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated
Dec 9th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Would the Majestic elegance in punta cana be a good alternative? Anyone have input on that?
Dec 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM

Where are you travelling from and what time of year?
Dec 10th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Travelling from Toronto, ontario canada
going mid january
Dec 10th, 2012, 06:54 AM

I think the Coconut Bay in St. Lucia is kind of family oriented so you may have to deal with kids if you go there.

In Jamaica I would look at the Jewel Dunn’s River Beach, Iberostar Rose Hall, and the Riu Palace. These are all in different parts of Jamaica so keep mind of that when you look into them. Montego Bay is a city and will have lots of nightlife. Negril will be more relaxed but has plenty of nightlife too. Ochos Rios will be a good point if you want to do outside excursions.

If you are really interested in Nightlife (sounds like you are), you may want to consider looking into Aruba too.

Jewel Dunn’s (Ocho Rios) - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...h_Jamaica.html

Riu (Negril) - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...h_Jamaica.html

Iberostar (Montego Bay/Rose Hall) - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...y_Jamaica.html
Dec 10th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

great! thanks i will check out all of these

do you have an opinion on Majestic Elegance in DR?
Dec 10th, 2012, 07:33 AM

I stayed at the Majestic Elegance last February. We had a swim up jr suite room adn upgraded to the Elegance Club. The rooms were big and clean. The Elegance Club provides free Wi-Fi..and these club rooms that you'll have access to. They are always stocked with beverages and snacks. The beach is like flour - in the Elegance section of the beach, you can have a waitstaff person bring you drinks. And they make a proper drink. Great mojitos with fresh mint. Great caipirinhas (brasilian drinks with cachaca - be careful if you drink them). The entertainment was great actually.....and outside.....the food was good. What specific questions do you have?
Dec 10th, 2012, 07:48 AM

Coconut Bay is on the atlantic side of the island hence the reason why the beach is not great for swimming. Smugglers Cove is also family orientated. Reduit Beach has plenty of nightlife, may take a look at the Royal by Rex or Coco Palm in Rodney Bay but I would expect families anywhere where the hotel is not for couples only, esp at this time of the year (not sure about swim up bar though @ Coco Palm).

Antigua is a good option too but guess that would depend on what's available at this late stage.

I have been to Negril, Jamaica early March and the sea was a little too cold for me for swimming, so not sure about going there mid Jan. Couple of degrees more would have been perfect. Otherwise Negril would be perfect.
Dec 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

About the majestic, is there any bars that stay open late that are outdoors? i read that the rooftop bars are open late and adults only, did you get to experience them?
Dec 10th, 2012, 10:13 AM

We were in Jamaica last year late February and the weather was perfect. The sea was definitely not too cold and everyone was in the water. I would not rule out Jamaica.

I haven't been to Majestic but my cousin has been there, as well as a friend. They both loved it but my cousin did say that the water was a bit rougher than she expected.

You've already been to the DR though, why not try something else?
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

i know, thats the thing, we do want to try something else but the 2 friends that are coming with have more of a budget to follow than me and my gf. They want to spend around $1700 AI for the week (from toronto)
Dec 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM

$1700.00 per person or for both of them for the week? If that's for both it's going to be tough considering January is high season. If that's the case you are definitely going to be limited to DR, Cuba, or Mexico if you want to go all inclusive. You might find a deal for Jamaica but it won't be 4 star accommodations.
Dec 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM

The Bay Garden Hotel and the Inn St. Lucia, isn't luxurious in finishes, but the service and cleanliness and finishes are nice. Plus it is in Rodney Bay close to amenities, a mall a strip of restaurants and bars just within 2 minutes walking distance, also a 2-3 minutes walk to the beach with easy access to taxi etc. The resort also offers and organises a range of excursions one of the most memorable during my last stay was a susnset cruise.

Thing is no swim up bar and though the beaches are beautiful, they aren't the blue/ turquoise waters and white sands although you can find some very close to that. Most are pretty but in a lush green sense.

St. Lucia is absolutely beautiful and I also recommend doing island tours and definitely a sunset cruise. One of the best times ever.
Dec 10th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Nono, 1700 per person,
I'm just worried that for their first time st lucia or antigua will be too boring since they have never been to the caribbean
Dec 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM

That is a pretty generous budget per person so if you want an island with more nightlife I'd definitely check out St Martin or Aruba. Jamaica would also be a good idea. Lots of nightlife there too. Personally, I'd only go back to DR if you absolutely loved it.

Mexico is out of the picture? Good bang for your buck there.
Dec 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM

When I think of the opposite of boring in the Caribbean , I think of St. Maarten, Aruba and Puerto Rico . Would any of those appeal to the group?
Dec 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Ya anything is an option at this point, we just don't want anything too too crowded. Its just so hard to pick somewhere ! There are so many choices!!
Dec 10th, 2012, 03:46 PM

St Martin has way too much crime, IMO
Dec 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know how late outdoor, on site bars are open until at majestic elegance? Like the rooftop bars, pool bars and any other ones
Dec 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Rooftop bars? Hmm...there is a bar on top of the elegance club that we went to for happy hour. Beautiful view. I don't know how late the bars stay open...but you will have a fully stocked bar in your room as well. Entertainment went past 11pm..that was outside and there were outside bars....hope that helps. pool bars will close, no matter where the resort is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO