Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Looking for a good AI resort for two couples in their thirties. (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/looking-for-a-good-ai-resort-for-two-couples-in-their-thirties-244837/)

Mary Jul 31st, 2002 12:53 PM

Looking for a good AI resort for two couples in their thirties.

My husband I and another couple are looking for a good AI resort. We are all in our mid-thirties. Not looking for a spring break atmosphere but would like something upbeat, not too quiet but not too loud, with good nightly entertainment, top shelf liquor, and perhaps others in our age group. Does this place exist? Thanks much for any suggestions you can give us.

AmyK Jul 31st, 2002 01:08 PM

Not a big AI person, but try the following in Negril, Jamaica:<BR><BR>www.moondancevillas.com<BR><BR>The se places are incredible, and right on the beautiful beach in Negril. Can do an AI option, with private cook, bartender, etc. Really unique.<BR><BR>Have fun!!!

xxx Jul 31st, 2002 03:03 PM

Grand Lido Braco, Half Moon Golf & Beach, or Round Hill in Jamaica. Jamaica (in my opinion) does all inclusive better than anyone else.

anon Jul 31st, 2002 03:19 PM

why?

xxx Jul 31st, 2002 04:58 PM

I think Jamaica does all inclusive best because they were the ones that started the concept. In my opinion, Jamaica AI's are far superior to others.

xx Jul 31st, 2002 05:09 PM

as long as you don't leave the resort Jamaica is good. We hated our shopping tour. I have never been so hounded in my life, and I have been to Mexico, and other Caribbean Islands. It was awful

anon Jul 31st, 2002 07:41 PM

I just took my first trip to an all-inclusive for 5 days. All of my other trips have been non AI. I was pleasantly surprised with my recent stay at Allegro Pineapple Beach Resort in Antigua. I found a my deal at Skyauction.com with no problems upon arrival. There was entertainment, good food (several restaurants), and a touring office on site. Other visitors I spoke to enjoyed their stays as well.

bUdNiP Aug 1st, 2002 05:58 AM

<BR>Hey anon,<BR><BR>One of my buds is considering Allegro Pineapple Beach.Could you give an overveiw,do's and don'ts ?

Mary Aug 1st, 2002 07:28 AM

I was considering Jamaica but then heard recently on this site that Jamaica does not serve beef in fear of mad cow's disease. Is this true? Even at the AI resorts? I love beef and quite honestly, could not live on goat (I don't even like goat). Thanks.

Diana M Aug 1st, 2002 07:50 AM

You need to seriously look into staying at Rendezvous, St Lucia. All adult, all inclusive. Lovely. Good food, great staff. Luxury Ocean Front room grade is the best they offer - don't book anything but this. Locals are also very friendly. Night security is staffed. We were very safe whether on/off resort. You won't be disappointed.

Mary Aug 1st, 2002 11:15 AM

Thanks for all the responses so far. Someone in another thread said the Grand Lido attracts people in their 50's and 60's. Which, if any, of the Grand Lidos cater more to our age group (30's)? <BR><BR>Is it true? Can you not get beef in Jamaica?

pat Aug 1st, 2002 11:55 AM

Try Riu Merengue Dominican Republic. It's got the lot.Beautiful rooms.Fabulous food and wonderful people. The guy on reception said these words to me when we arrived.Lady you have arrived in paradise and boy was he right.<BR><BR>

pat Aug 1st, 2002 11:58 AM

Sorry I forgot to say that the Riu Merengue is in Bahia Maimon just outside of Puerta Plata in the north of the island.

bUdNiP Aug 1st, 2002 01:06 PM

Mary,<BR><BR>I do not think it is a problem getting beef in Jamaica.I can honestly say I have never gotten a good steak.One staple is beef patties,a beef mixture in a pastry like shell.So it is there.Jamaicans are not big beef eaters.Lots of seafood,fresh fruits and veggies in their diets.If yoiu end up there try to go with the local cuisine.It is very tasty.