Long weekend with kids - Puerto Rico

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long weekend with kids - Puerto Rico

I am planning a long-weekend for the family in early October - me, husband, 3.5yr old and 9mo old.

1) Should I be concerned about hurricane season in PR?
2) Any family-friendly hotel recommendations? In particular, looking for an excellent kids camp or activities.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:07 AM

1. Yes, you should still be concerned about hurricanes in early October. You'll be traveling during the busiest part of hurricane season. Having said that, this season has been very easy, with almost no storms. Though I'm sure we're bound to get at least a couple of hurricanes before November 30.
2. San Juan isn't that family-friendly. I'd recommend taking a look at the Caribe Hilton, San Juan Marriott, Condado Plaza (has a very small beach, though), Ritz-Carlton, El San Juan, and Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort. Those are likely the best choices within San Juan.

However, if you are willing to go outside of the city, the Wyndham Rio Mar or El Conquistador would both be better family choices since they are big resorts with nice beaches and a lot more activities to choose from.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM

I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton with a 2 yr old, and I found it to be very family friendly. If you are only there for a few days, stay in San Juan-you don't want a long drive to your hotel. Save the other hotels for a longer trip.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:38 AM

August & September are the peak months for hurricanes. Usually by October the situation has improved, but that's no guarantee. Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Puerto Rico is very family friendly, and people are quite tolerant about crying babies in restaurants, movie theatres, etc... If you can afford it, I'd recommend the Caribe Hilton because it has the best beach in San Juan. Second choice would be El San Juan in Isla Verde, only 5 mins. from the airport. The beach is OK, but can be rough if the weather kicks up. El Conquistador is definitely the dream hotel for a young family stay at, and should have lower rates during October. But be warned that it's an 1-1/2 hour drive from the airport. The facilities there are spectacular and the view of the Caribbean plus rain forest are magnificent.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Caribe Hilton has a good beach for kids - it is extremely calm. You might want to check out the Ritz Carlton too - I know they have a Ritz kids program. I'm not sure what makes a place family friendly vs not family friendly but everytime I go to the Ritz in San Juan, I see lots of kids at the pool and they seem to be having a great time.